Dying Gourami Help Asap

1. brooklynmv

brooklynmv New Member Member

Don't know where else to post this but my Gourami has been sitting at the bottom of the tank, not eating for a couple days. I came up stairs this evening and I thought he was dead however when I went to go net him, he tried to swim away but was swimming lopsided. I decided that taking him out was better than leaving him in there to suffer (I have neons in the same tank so didn't want them pecking at him) I took him out in preparation to flush him but he's been out of water for 15-20 mins and is still not dead. I feel so bad that he's suffering. Any suggestions?

Forgot to add, recently came back from vacation and 3 of my fish were dead... Could it be stress from ammonia? I changed water but could it be stuck in the filter and sand?

2. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there. Do you have any clove oil? You could euthanize. It is quick and simple. Just a few drops. They go off to sleep.

I would put him in a small food safe dish with some fresh dechlorinated water. Give him the night. See how he does. You could let it float on top of the tank so it stays warm. The plastic bowls will float just fine on top of the water. That way you won't need a heater.

You shouldn't have ammonia in your tank if your tank is fully cycled. I would do a daily 30% water change the next few days to see if your water quality gets better and your fish perk up.

3. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

I don't have clove oil. I just checked on him and he's no longer breathing... Time to flush him. Thank you for your response, I will do the 30% water change for the next few days. I have 3 zebra danios and 3 neon tetras, could I add more fish or will my 20 gal be overstocked?

4. AllieSten

Both of those types of fish need 6 in their schools. You should be ok to add 3 more of each.

So sorry for your loss.

5. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry if this comes off as too harsh, but you left your fish who was still alive out of water for 30 mins. I would start doing some serious research before thinking about getting anymore fish or keeping the ones you have. That was a slow painful death.

6. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

I don't have access to zebra danios anymore. But will get 3 more neons. Should I add a bottom feeder or anything?

I've had fish for about 3 years, but didn't know what to do in this situation and that's why I posted on here to get some help. It would've been a slow painful death if I left him in the water as well with the neons picking on him while he just floats there helplessly. I didn't have any clove oil so that wasn't an option. If you're not here to help, please don't reply to my thread.

7. AllieSten

The zebra danios will get aggressive if they don't have enough in their school. GloFish danios are technically zebras. You could get 3 of those.

You could get a couple Amano shrimp and a couple nerite snails. Those would help with bottom feeding. I wouldn't add more fish than the ones you are planning. 20 gallons isn't that big.

8. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

Okay, I'm pretty sure my pet store has those. I've always wanted some shrimp. Thank you for your help tonight.

9. AllieSten

She is 17, give her a break. She's a kid, asking for help.

You are very welcome. I'm glad I was here to help. Fishkeeping can be difficult. They aren't like other creatures we care for. I would think about ordering some clove oil online. Just to have for next time. It literally will put your fish to sleep. They can die peacefully. Just in case. It's just good to have on hand.

10. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

I appreciate it very much. I'm only very skilled in the world of horses! Fish are kind of new to me. And I will get some clove oil as I want fish to pass in peace. Thank you again :)

11. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

In case you're ever in this situation again and don't have clove oil, a better option may be to hit the fish over the head to kill it. I know it seems brutal but if you do it with something heavy enough it's pretty instant for the fish. Much better than suffering for 20-30 minutes. Also better than freezing them which I know a lot of people do. Please don't take this as me being rude - I thought I had to euthanize my first betta (I could have treated him) and I made my boyfriend smash him because I didn't know what else to do. Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe fish are supposed to be flushed anymore. Sorry for your loss.

12. OP
    OP
    brooklynmv

I saw that as I was looking for ways to humanely kill him but I don't have to guts to do it. There was no one home. He was one of my favorite fish and honestly was just so sad that he wasn't his usual, happy self. He used to come up to the glass whenever I came into my room. So I just took him out of the water and I thought he would die in 1-2 mins. I haven't heard that fish aren't supposed to be flushed anymore, do you know why? Thank you.

Do the snails or shrimp need a certain kind of substrate? I currently have sand with a little bit of gravel.

13. R

Racing1113 Well Known Member Member

Honestly, right now I couldn't tell you. I've been up for 88 hours straight and just moved today which took well over 12 hours. So my brain isn't really functioning right now lol. Hopefully someone else will come along to clarify, if not I'll check on this thread tomorrow.

14. r15u5

r15u5 Valued Member Member

Sorry for your loss. Choosing the most humane thing isn't always easy especially when it is by your hand.

15. josh_dude83

josh_dude83 New Member Member

It is not recommended to flush fish due to the slow rate at which they decompose. Depending on the condition of your sewage lines and the size of fish it can get lodged in your pipes. This can cause a clog in your lines to develop and require additional headaches and money. What I do is I bury lost friends in the garden.

Also, reading your posts, do you have a water test kit? Highly recommend. I would be surprised that going away for a few days caused such an ammonia spike unless someone was overfeeding them while you were gone. Was the tank unattended while you were on vacation? How many days? However, water conditions could have been bad before you left. I also don't recommend doing 30% water changes every day. This could be too much for some already stressed fish. In these situations I usually do a water change every few days, about 20%.

Snails are pretty lenient on what you can have in the tank as substrate, as long as the water isn't too acidic. Most snails do best in slightly alkaline water. You can get away without calcium supplements for them if the water isn't acidic.