Dying Goldfish

What should I do with this fish?

• Give him back to the store, hope he'll recover and find a home. Don't risk your other fish.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HelvisGoldies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was given a sick fancy goldfish. (I keep over 500 gallons of goldfish ponds/tanks) My 20 gal quarantine tank was freed up so I thought I'd take it in, and give it my best go at helping. (It's an XL fancy at this wonderful fish store I used to work at, the owner of the store gave it to me as it was not looking good and I've sucessfully medicated his fish in the past.) I thought that if it came around I'd let it live with my other fancies. The goldfish seemed very sick and I felt bad, maybe I should not have taken it. I've had it for a week now and all its done is sit at the bottom of the tank. I'm doing daily water changes. I dosed some Microbe-Lift and some aq salt but I really don't want to try anything too strong the fish does not seem like it can handle it. The fish shows hardly any external symptoms, it just sits at the bottom and breathes heavily. Sometimes it will swim fast and twitch, which makes me think it's a parasitic thing. It doesn't seem like swim bladder at all, (as I've dealt with many cases of that) In the week I've had it it's just gotten sicker. I don't think this fish has a will to survive. I was wondering what else I could do for it. (I'm moving next week and I'm relocating all of my healthly fancies to ponds I've made in the new location, I won't have a place for this poor goldfish.)

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I honestly think you should continue your efforts on trying to save the fish, but with that said, you need to consider the cost and time to continue treatment, especially since your moving and you'll be focused on putting the plates in cupboards and stuff. I say give yourself another two more weeks, if it doesn't respond I would euthanize it.

California L33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fish Lore.

If the first medicine isn't working it's time to try something else. It's nice that they have 'natural' medicines, but I think something like Paraguard might give you better results if you suspect parasites, though I'm hardly a goldfish expert, so others with more experience might suggest something better. There's always the risk that the medicine will harm the fish, but ideally it harms the disease faster than the fish. If you're using a medicine that doesn't work you're faced with the prospect of the fish dying from the disease anyhow.

I'm not sure why you won't have a quarantine tank in your new location, especially if you're going to have ponds- seems like a necessity. But I wouldn't put the sick fish in the pond with the healthy, if that's what you're asking.

HelvisGoldies

Valued Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Fish Lore.

If the first medicine isn't working it's time to try something else. It's nice that they have 'natural' medicines, but I think something like Paraguard might give you better results if you suspect parasites, though I'm hardly a goldfish expert, so others with more experience might suggest something better. There's always the risk that the medicine will harm the fish, but ideally it harms the disease faster than the fish. If you're using a medicine that doesn't work you're faced with the prospect of the fish dying from the disease anyhow.

I'm not sure why you won't have a quarantine tank in your new location, especially if you're going to have ponds- seems like a necessity. But I wouldn't put the sick fish in the pond with the healthy, if that's what you're asking.
Thank you, I will have a quarintine but not right away. I'd have to make a new setup for the sick fish and cycle it. Where I'm going is temporary for the summer and I can't keep tanks indoors when I'm there.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Breathing heavily and not having the energy to swim much makes me believe it's gill flukes. That can be treated over 5 days with API General Cure or PraziPro. They are the same medication but General Care also contains salt.
Thank you, I will have a quarintine but not right away. I'd have to make a new setup for the sick fish and cycle it. Where I'm going is temporary for the summer and I can't keep tanks indoors when I'm there.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom