Dying Fry? Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by damprye, Apr 8, 2010.

1. d

damprye Valued Member Member

How many fry is it normal to lose in the first few weeks? I have noticed that I have less fry than I did but it only started happening after I started adding water to their tank and also sucking up some of the gunk from the bottom (I used a syringe and made sure to check very carefully how many fry I had sucked up and made sure to put them back in). My ammonia did get up to 0.25 and my Nitries 0.2 but they are back down to 0 but I have sad looking fry now :( well not all of them sad, only a few but as I said there appears to be alot less. I had about 800 fry to start off with but it looks like I am down to about 300. Other than that most of them seem to be coming along beautifully and are even bigger than they are supposed to be (about half an inch already at 3weeks). Nothing else has changed and I don't know what to do, please help ???

2. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

It is normal to lose 1/2 the spawn in the 1st month....Trust me 300 is 250 too many to raise! It is hard work jarring up 50-100 fry and doing daily water changes....It's even harder to sell/place that many fish especially VT's....

Are you doing daily water changes on this fry tank?

3. OP
    OP
    d

Yeah everything is going fine with their daily routine, I have became great at syphoning and the drip line works great and I cannot wait till the 16th so I can put them in their nice big tank. I have added some plants in there but don't know how to look after them yet :-/ I'm going to have to look that up I think but their tank is fully cycled and the ph is the same as their current tank (I want to shock them as less as possible), when I do put them in their new tank do I put everything that is in their current one in there just in case anyone is hiding and do I add their water as well?

4. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I float the 2 gallon spawn tank in the new tank when I transfer...Let them float until they reach the temp of the new tank then I tip the 2 gallon on it's side and let them swim out....

5. OP
    OP
    d

I don't think my glass 20g is going to be able to float in there but both of the tank temps are sitting on 27.8*C/42.04*F wo I don't think I'll have too much of a problem with that part at least :)

6. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Do you mean 82F? Just checking, because as you know, 42 would be very cold lol!! I had to double check sorry, I thought I had made a mistake with my eyes...

7. f

fishtroy Well Known Member Member

How sad that you lose so many little fry, although it would be unrealistic to expect a huge survival rate and would make it impossible to deal with! Can we see pictures of your babies or are they too small to photograph yet?

8. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I totally understand your frustration! Since I have been back in Missouri, my die off rate has been much higher, I think due to the hardness of the water. The last spawn I did was a very large one...about 200 @ the 2 week mark. In the next 2 weeks though my numbers went down to 7...it is very discouraging sometimes!! Keep your chin up though...not all spawns have such a large die off and don't forget...the saying about the strong surviving is usually true!

9. OP
    OP
    d

Sorry yes 82*F lol, I don't know where the 4 came from, I'm such a dope :p
    As soon as I can find that exasive camera of mine I can take some more pics but I do have a couple in my album.
    I was transferring all the ornaments to their grow out tank so I could make sure I didn't leave any behind to be fry out of water and when they were all out I seen all my fry and was astounded how many there still were (that wern't still hiding in the honeycomb style rock). I have two that are massive, you'd think that they were 2months old instead of one lol and the rest are all different sizes but thankfully none seem to be undersized. On one of them you can even see the different parts of it's eyes lol.

10. Flyfrod

Flyfrod Valued Member Member

Its funny how you can look in the spawn tank and not see many fry at all. Then all of the sudden you have double what you thought was in there. Mine are 24 days old. It's neat is watch fins develop and watch them eat like pigs.

11. OP
    OP
    d

Hehe mine are 28days :) and yeah little piggies they are, most of them come out when I sit to watch them now, they think they will get fed extra that way :p cheeky lil fishies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice