Dying Frogbit (yellowish)

caren55

Reaction score
hello ! i have problem with my frogbit .

i have 2 tanks with frogbit lets say A and B . (both are shrimp tank)

in tank A the frogbit is healty , no yellowish colour
29 Celcius
No LED Light , just not direct sunlight
HOB Filter
15 Red Cherry Shmrips
No substrate (bare tank)

in tank B , 20% of the frobit is yellowish
27 Celcius (im using fan to lower the temp)
10 gallons , 22 Watt LED , 8 hours/day
Bio Foam filter
10 Red fire shrimps
soil substrate (local brand , and they said its active substrate)

tank A and B are almost 4 weeks old . what cause my frogbit is dying ?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi caren and welcome to fishlore I think you have more problems to worry about than your frogbite the temperatures in those two tanks are way to high for shrimp especially the 29c you need to reduce them both slowly to 22.5 to 24c or you'll find yourself looseing shrimp, the other point of concern would be shrimp in 4week old tanks, again you run the risk of loosening shrimp to ammonia and also not having an established tank,

caren55

Reaction score
Hi caren and welcome to fishlore I think you have more problems to worry about than your frogbite the temperatures in those two tanks are way to high for shrimp especially the 29c you need to reduce them both slowly to 22.5 to 24c or you'll find yourself looseing shrimp, the other point of concern would be shrimp in 4week old tanks, again you run the risk of loosening shrimp to ammonia and also not having an established tank,
both are neo caridina , is it too high for them ? should i add another fan ? cant afford chiller ( too expensive . i lost 3/4 of my first batch :/
thanks for your answer btw !

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok there must be loads in your position and I do think that shrimp in general do adapt a little to tropical conditions if you can bring them down to 26c ish you have a chance of them living longer than a year, they will breed like crazy when they start, it's now trying to find that happy medium that you can control without using ice packs as that wont last it's to much of an ask so do your best for 26c, any idea what sort of temperature tsnk they came from

caren55

Reaction score
Ok there must be loads in your position and I do think that shrimp in general do adapt a little to tropical conditions if you can bring them down to 26c ish you have a chance of them living longer than a year, they will breed like crazy when they start, it's now trying to find that happy medium that you can control without using ice packs as that wont last it's to much of an ask so do your best for 26c, any idea what sort of temperature tsnk they came from
ok , ill add more fan . its 24 since the breeder from mountainous area

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not going to build your hops up and say things will be ok the chances are you may loose a few, 1 to temperature 2 not having a fully cycled and stable tanks, what I can say the longer it goes and they start to moult the better their chances, dont give up if things dont go right this time while this is happening your tanks are maturing, you will have to add water as it evaporates so have at around 26c and put little and often as it evaporates and do it slowly this way you dont run the risk of shocking them, and do a normal 15%change once a week no more,

caren55

Reaction score
I'm not going to build your hops up and say things will be ok the chances are you may loose a few, 1 to temperature 2 not having a fully cycled and stable tanks, what I can say the longer it goes and they start to moult the better their chances, dont give up if things dont go right this time while this is happening your tanks are maturing, you will have to add water as it evaporates so have at around 26c and put little and often as it evaporates and do it slowly this way you dont run the risk of shocking them, and do a normal 15%change once a week no more,
thanks ! i will try my best . sometime they molting . what cause them moulting ?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They moult because they are growing, but in certain cases they will have a forced moult which can be bad if it goes wrong and lead to death, shock will also lead to premature moults, having yours moult and survive is a good sign, what are you feeding? Can you photograph the tank close up

caren55

Reaction score
They moult because they are growing, but in certain cases they will have a forced moult which can be bad if it goes wrong and lead to death, shock will also lead to premature moults, having yours moult and survive is a good sign, what are you feeding? Can you photograph the tank close up
i feed them with boiled spinach

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Spinach is good you can also try any of these, dont over cook anything just a few seconds to a few minutes depending on how tough the vegetables are
Here is a list of vegetables by mg of Calcium contentper 100gm of food.
Vegetable (mg Cal)

Use bloodworm for protein

Arrowhead 1
Chives (per tablespoon) 2 Peppers, Sweet 6
Alfalfa sprouts 10Pumpkin leaves 15
Asparagus 14-28
Coriander (cilantro) 16Chard, Swiss 18
Radish seed sprouts 19Lettuce, Cos, Romaine 20
Lettuce, Romaine (100g) 20Squash, Zucchini 20
Jerusalem artichoke 21Pumpkin 24Endive 26 Squash, Summer 26 Cauliflower 28 Purslane 28
Radishes 28 Carrots 30 Eggplant 30 Cabbage 32
New Zealand Spinach 32 Kohlrabi 34 Lettuce, Looseleaf 38 Peas, Green 36 Turnips 39
Cress, garden 40 Watercress 40 Broccoli 42
Mung bean sprouts 42Celery 44 Beet greens 46
Snap beans 46 Parsnips 47 Spinach 56 Mustard Greens 58 Green Onions 60
Peas, Edible pod 62 Rutabagas 65
Celeriac 68 Chinese cabbage 74
Parsley 78 Salsify 80 Borage (Starflower) 82
Okra 82 Kale 94 Lettuce, Iceberg 102 Dandelion greens 103 Turnip Greens 105
Kale, Scotch 137 Chicory greens 180
Mulberry Leaves ~200 Collard Greens 218

caren55

Reaction score
Spinach is good you can also try any of these, dont over cook anything just a few seconds to a few minutes depending on how tough the vegetables are
Here is a list of vegetables by mg of Calcium contentper 100gm of food.
Vegetable (mg Cal)

Use bloodworm for protein

Arrowhead 1
Chives (per tablespoon) 2 Peppers, Sweet 6
Alfalfa sprouts 10Pumpkin leaves 15
Asparagus 14-28
Coriander (cilantro) 16Chard, Swiss 18
Radish seed sprouts 19Lettuce, Cos, Romaine 20
Lettuce, Romaine (100g) 20Squash, Zucchini 20
Jerusalem artichoke 21Pumpkin 24Endive 26 Squash, Summer 26 Cauliflower 28 Purslane 28
Radishes 28 Carrots 30 Eggplant 30 Cabbage 32
New Zealand Spinach 32 Kohlrabi 34 Lettuce, Looseleaf 38 Peas, Green 36 Turnips 39
Cress, garden 40 Watercress 40 Broccoli 42
Mung bean sprouts 42Celery 44 Beet greens 46
Snap beans 46 Parsnips 47 Spinach 56 Mustard Greens 58 Green Onions 60
Peas, Edible pod 62 Rutabagas 65
Celeriac 68 Chinese cabbage 74
Parsley 78 Salsify 80 Borage (Starflower) 82
Okra 82 Kale 94 Lettuce, Iceberg 102 Dandelion greens 103 Turnip Greens 105
Kale, Scotch 137 Chicory greens 180
Mulberry Leaves ~200 Collard Greens 218
thanks you for the information !
how often i should feed them , and do i need to switch the food (today is spinach , tomorrow algae wafer ) ?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Feeding is an open topic some feed every day others once a week to a month, what you need to watch is that they are on the food within 1hr of putting it in if not take it out as theres enough natural food, once a week with veg and once with algae wafer will be ok for you. Theres no harm trying different veg as a trial just to see what they like so in this case put the veg in and if no response within 1hr take it out and dont feed anything for 2days then try it again, like everything its important not to over feed

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom