dying fishies

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by chammy99uk, May 18, 2006.

1. chammy99ukNew MemberMember

this time im getting worried,yesterday one of my male guppies turned over and died on me,he was bleeding where his poo comes out, what happened 2 the wee fella?i havent done anything different, i still do water changes every sunday, i havent added new fish so the water hasnt been contaminated, i feed them twice a day. since posting saying ive only had 2 fish die on me this is the fourth guppy ive had die. one died the day before this last one but i didnt see anything obvious on him. i dont know what happened 2 the two before that, they have just dissapeared so i reckon they have died and the clown loaches have ate them.do guppies just not have a long life span or is it my fault, whats happening?

the pregnant females are still there and the big female is getting bigger,she looks like shes gonna burst soon. im going to do a water change as soon as ive posted this just in case there is something wrong with the water so if i lose any more guppies i will let you know.

i would like to thank you for the help i get from this forum, i thought i knew what i needed about tropical fish but obviously not, the advice on this forum is great.

2. GwenzWell Known MemberMember

3. KelleyNew MemberMember

Sorry to hear about your loss. Can we hear more about your tank? How many gallons? How long has your tank been up and running? when you change your water how much are you changing? Are you declorinating your water out of the tap? These questions along with Gwenz's will help the rest of us figure out what is going on with your tank.

4. chammy99ukNew MemberMember

i wrote a couple of weeks ago with my tank details and the person who answered said it was fine and i was doing ok.my tank is a 26-27 gallon tank, i have 2 filters and a thermostat heater.plenty of plants(artificial) and some ornaments and small rocks along with gravel.i do a 3rd part water change every weekend and sometimes during the week too if my tank looks like it needs a wee clean. im not too clever and dont understand nitrate levels and some other things but ive had my tank 6 months now with no serious problems before.
    i gave my tank a good syphon clean today and it was really a mess,i got right down into the bottom of the gravel and got a lot of muck out of it, so i reckon my fish were being poisoned by their own waste. ive been quite busy this week and havent had the same time to look after them like normal so i blame myself. i actually moved the fish to a bucket and took my time in cleaning it,refilling and syphoning again. as i only have the one tank i wasnt able to do the cycling but when i cleaned the filters i only did the sponges, leaving the wee boxes with the stones. i left the filters back in the tank for an hour or so before putting the fish back and they seem to be fine now.they actually look happier now,the clown loaches have came out of the corner now. maybe this is the way i should clean the tank all the time. i will post back if i have any more problems but in the meantime i will go to the petshop and ask about nitrate kits and other such things.

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

When you clean your tank the fish should stay in the tank, catching them when ou clean is very stressful.
    When did you add the clown loaches? And what else is in the tank. if you've added clown loaches to what you had then you are way overstocked. Even small so 28G is too small for clowns and they are heavy waste makers just like the plecos.
    Please test your water and let us know what your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings are.
    Carol

6. chammy99ukNew MemberMember

when i first started my tank just before christmas i was given the clown loaches by my friend along with a midsize pleco and 2 scissor tails, i gave 4 of them on 2 my sister and i gave her 4 other arrow tailed fish as well.at the moment i have 6 male guppies 2 female, 8 neon tetras, 3 b&w tetra thingies,big pleco, baby pleco, a siamese fighter and 2 gouramis. at this moment i dont think my tank is overcrowded,my friend who gave me her fish had a lot more fish and a smaller tank.
    ive had these fish for months now, my latest addition was the female guppies and that was about 3 weeks ago. i actually live in scotland and i dont know, but im thinking by reading some other posts on this forum that 1/the water quality is gonna be a lot different from yours regarding ph and amonia,2/ i dont know if our gallon is even the same.
    i really do think at this moment i poisoned them with not being at home and i have learned a very emotional and valuable lesson, i get so attatched to my fishies, i wont ever say it can wait till tomorrow again.

7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Regardless where your at your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings will still need to be the same, water quality will have to be good where ever you are ;)
    Are you measuring in litres, British Gallons, or US Gallons?
    lets see what we can figure out.
    Carol

8. chammy99ukNew MemberMember

ok the bucket i use to transfer the water is 12 litres, and i used 9 bucketfuls of water to fill my tank when i first filled it before christmas, this makes it about 108 litres i think.i was measuring in british gallons but as i said before im not too clever at converting. now when i do a weekly clean i empty out between 3 and 4 bucketfuls.is that about right? it is now morning and my fish seem to be ok today,i will b keeping a close eye on them and will let you know if anything else happens.thanks alot for your help.
    ive decided not to buy any more fish to replace the ones i lost because you said the big pregnant one will give birth soon.and i have put a bit more artificial plant into my tank so the babies have somewhere to hide.i just had to add that because im still impatiently waiting on these babies.lol

9. ncjeValued MemberMember

Sounds like overfeeding. I cant think of anything else other than a large bacterial die off in your tank causing your nitrates to rapidly rise. Have you added any chemicals recently? Any plant fertilisers?

10. vinWell Known MemberMember

My understanding is that ammonia poisoning can cause rectal bleeding......Also, depending upon the water quality, the pregnant fish may take longer to deliver her babies and it can also have an effect on them when born. Or if the water is too bad, she may not deliver them at all and may die herself. Which we certainly hope to prevent.

As Butterfly mentions, it is important for you to provide her with the readings of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates so she can help you remedy the situation. If you don't have a testing kit of your own, take a small jar of your tank water to your local fish store and ask them to test for the 3 things mentioned. Be sure to write down the readings and post them here.

This will go a long way toward helping you to reslove the issues you're having.

11. mistycheriValued MemberMember

Good luck with your new babies when they're born. I to am expecting, I have a pregnant black molly. I have one baby platy that is about this --------------- big now. She was born and raised in my tank. Babies are so much fun raising. :)

12. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

Internal hemorrhage usually only happens in fish who are in poor conditions for some reason and pick up a bacterial infection. Main reasons listed for this to happen are: recent importaion, rough handling, or overcrowding. These reasons compounded with a poorly maintained tank is an open invitaion for this type of infection. It also says that the infection, once present in the aquarium will be very apt to attack the other fish exposed to it. It is called Ulcer Disease or Hemorrhagic Septacemia. It will begin as a bacterial infection and can convert to a fungal infection if left untreated. Sometimes the fish will die with very little sign of disease at all.

I hope this has been helpful.

Rose
    :(

13. chammy99ukNew MemberMember

thankyou every one for all the advice given. i have been to the pet shop to see about getting amonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph tester kits, ive read on websites that people arent too keen on the colour strip ones but i actually think i'd prefer them, i really am not clever with understanding levels and balances.so anyway my local pet shop is getting them in in the next few days for me, in the meantime they gave me a liquid that i measure and put in to try to keep amonia down.my dad who was a keen tropical fish keeper years ago still has a tank in his house so hes going to give me it so i can move the females to a peaceful envioroment as i was worrying about them.(by the way i asked him about amonia, nitrates etc and he didnt know what i was on about and hes had tropical and coldwater fish for more than 40 years.since before i was born till a few years ago) talking about the females, when i got up this morning i noticed both their bellies dont look so big now, i did a part water change today and didnt come across any babies so im assuming the other fish must have ate them. the bigger one still looks big but her gravid spot doesnt seem as big or dark as it was and she isnt so wide either so im guessing she had her babies. anyway thanks again.

14. vinWell Known MemberMember

Keep an eye out for babies along the base of plants and decor as they will try to hide from the adults as much as possible....When you least expect to see one, there they are!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice