Help Dying fish?!?!?

Bobby Callaghan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Help. I had 5 neons but now there is 4. When i saw one acting strange i did a 30% change but then it died. and now all the others are acting really weird like they are going to die like the other one. my other fish are fine, its just the tetras. i am going to the pet store so they can check my water and see the dead fish. i have had them a week and they have been fine. 3 days after i got them my water was the same as ever only a slight trace (not dangerous levels) of ammonia and as always, a few nitrAtes. No nitrItes. I will get my water tested.

Could there be any reason that one died? Will the others die?
Iknow the obvios answer is water problems but i'm not sure?
Is it just a one off but the othres arent looking to good?
HELP?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi Bobby,
You really should invest in a good quality liquid test kit of your own. Most pet stores use strips, which are not really reliable or accurate.

Possible causes:
- Neons don't handle cycling well. If you are using the product Nutrafin Cycle, your tank is not cycled, as that product won't really work. I would stop using it.
- Could have been a problem with how the fish were acclimated. How did you do this?
- Neon tetra disease

Bobby Callaghan

Valued Member
Reaction score
they look funny on their bellies. ive seen other fish like it before they die.
The tank is already cycled. it already had fish in before the tetras.
the pet store does use a liquid test kit which is good quality as they are selling it for £30.
i acumulated them just as i did the others, like you are suppoused to.

Bobby Callaghan

Valued Member
Reaction score
yes. i have just had my water test and the water is great.so i have a replacement tetra and some zebre danios and the other tetras are looking ok.
What do you reckon killed the lil neon. i reckon stress.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cycle (and almost all other bacteria boosters like Stresszyme, Stability, etc.) contain non-aquatic bacteria. It drowns/dies in about a week, and that is why the bottle says to add it weekly. This is expensive and dangerous. The bottled bacteria eats the ammonia in the tank, which is why you get good readings. However, it can starve out the natural bacteria you need to cycle your tank. With the addition of the weekly-bacteria-in-a-bottle, your tank cannot complete the natural biological cycle.

I worry about the usage of this and similar products. The success of your tank relies solely on consistent and precise dosing. If you miss a time, or don't add enough, or add too much, or overfeed so there's a bit extra ammonia, etc., your tank can crash because it never cycled.

I know the stores push these products, but they make a lot of money off of weekly-addition products. And sad to say, they also make money on replacement fish.

I would suggest not using these types of products. Cycle your tank with daily water changes with Prime water conditioner, or buy some Tetra Safe Start. TSS is the only product on the market with the correct bacteria. If you use it, make sure you buy that exact product. It's a one-time use, and for most members who used it, has helped cycle the tank (not all members have had success though).

Your tank is very likely not cycled, since you are adding a bacteria booster. So yeah, I reckon it may have been stress too, from being in a tank without steady water parameters. Just my two cents.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok. but what do i do about the fish in the tank now?
Get your hands on some used media and put it in your filter.

The problem with cycle, as meenu pointed out, is that it outcompetes the natural bacterias, and then dies. Unfortunately, you have to stop using Cycle and wait a week before you start trying to correct the problem, which is that your tank does not have a resident bacteria population.

It's something no one likes to hear, but the best thing you can do for yourself AND your fish is to return them all and do a fishless cycle. There are several methods outlined within this and every other fish forum on the web.

Otherwise, Tetra SafeStart is your only hope (aside from finding used media). Again, you have to get your tank off Cycle BEFORE you do anything to fix the problem.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom