Important Dying fish

Nano tank master

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a 35L aquarium which had 3 tetras 2 minnows 1 snail and 2 shrimp. it has a heater and a canister filter on it. About a week ago both my shrimps died within a few days of each other. I posted on here and people thought it was because my heater was 1 degree lower than optimum but I though it was a bit of coincidence tht they were fine for 6 months and then they both die so I put it down to two sad closely related deaths of a normal life. I bought a test kit for all the usual chemicals and they were all fine. now 1 of my minnows is playing up and floating around and I've just seen it head down at the back of the tank.
I'm really worried, I'd be glad for any help.

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "playing up," but if the Minnow is swimming lopsided or wobbling and flipping, it could be SwI'm Bladder Disorder. This is when a fish cannot control the gases in their SwI'm Bladder which controls how they float or sink. To my knowledge it is usually caused by overfeeding. Another comment I have is that most types of Tetras usually have to be kept in schools of 6 or more, or they are more stressed and susceptible to disease. Hope your fish returns to health.

OP
Nano tank master

Nano tank master

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NBettas83 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "playing up," but if the Minnow is swimming lopsided or wobbling and flipping, it could be SwI'm Bladder Disorder. This is when a fish cannot control the gases in their SwI'm Bladder which controls how they float or sink. To my knowledge it is usually caused by overfeeding. Another comment I have is that most types of Tetras usually have to be kept in schools of 6 or more, or they are more stressed and susceptible to disease. Hope your fish returns to health.
Thanks for he reply. It was kind of just limp and going with the current of the filter with an occasional swim to lift itself back up. Sadly I think it is dead now. it has been in the same position with its tail up for an hour or so now. My plan is to get more tetras at some point I just didn't want to many fish in the tank at the same time.
do you think the death of the shrimp and the fish are related because I don't want any more dying.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
How often are you doing partial water changes? How much water are you changing each time? The very first thing I reach for when I see something off is my water changing equipment.

We really need actual perimeter numbers. the more information you can give us the better we will be able to help you. PH? Ammonia? nitrites? nitrates?

OP
Nano tank master

Nano tank master

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
How often are you doing partial water changes? How much water are you changing each time? The very first thing I reach for when I see something off is my water changing equipment.

We really need actual perimeter numbers. the more information you can give us the better we will be able to help you. PH? Ammonia? nitrites? nitrates?
I do a 15% and a 20% roughly each week.
NO3 - 20
NO2 - 0
pH - 6.0
KH - 0
GH - 15

OP
Nano tank master

Nano tank master

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NBettas83 said:
Your Ammonia readings are also very helpful. If we can get those, we can see the full picture.
I don't have the stuff to measure that. Sorry

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nano tank master said:
I do a 15% and a 20% roughly each week.
NO3 - 20
NO2 - 0
pH - 6.0
KH - 0
GH - 15
What is the PH of your tap water? 0 KH and 6.0 PH tells me your tank is lacking necessary minerals. Check both KH and PH of your tap water. The low numbers in the tank may be fixed with simply doing water changes.

OP
Nano tank master

Nano tank master

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
What is the PH of your tap water? 0 KH and 6.0 PH tells me your tank is lacking necessary minerals. Check both KH and PH of your tap water. The low numbers in the tank may be fixed with simply doing water changes.
The pH is around 5.7 and KH about 20

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nano tank master said:
The pH is around 5.7 and KH about 20
Was that a mis-type on the PH? Did you actually mean 7.5? 5.7 is pretty low with a KH of 20. What I would do is some water changes on this tank. If you have only been doing 15 to 20% water changes each week changing that to 50% each week should get this tank more in balance. Giving your fish fresh clean water is the very best thing you can do for your fish.

OP
Nano tank master

Nano tank master

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
Was that a mis-type on the PH? Did you actually mean 7.5? 5.7 is pretty low with a KH of 20. What I would do is some water changes on this tank. If you have only been doing 15 to 20% water changes each week changing that to 50% each week should get this tank more in balance. Giving your fish fresh clean water is the very best thing you can do for your fish.
Yeah sorry, It was 7.5. Okay, so I'll start doing larger water changes. Thanks.

OP
Nano tank master

Nano tank master

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
mattgirl said:
I wish I could answer this question but sadly can't. We can only hope they will once you start giving them more fresh water.
Okay

New Threads