Dying fish need HELP

wadem

Reaction score
My fish are all dying one by one and I don't have a clue as to why. I have 3 tanks: 30, 16, and 44 gal. They are dying in all 3. I've lost all of my guppies, burmese border loaches, rosey barbs, threadfin rainbows, balloon (fat belly) mollies, and 4 of 6 Bosemanis rainbows. In my 30 I have neons, a Betta, Danios and a gold nugget Pleco that all seem fine. My 16 now has only 1 Balloon molly left. My 44 has 2 angels, 3 upsidedown catfish, 2 clown plecos and 3 clown loaches that all seem fine. The 2 remaining Bosemanis look aweful (losing color and not moving much) and I have a school of harliquin rasboras that seemed fine but today they are all at the bottom and have all lost their color. None of the fish I've lost have had any sign of disease. They just suddenly start swimming eradically then lose their boyancy control (start floating all over) then die within a couple of hours. I do water changes 25% each week and the tanks have been set up for 2 years and I've never seen anything like this. I spoke to my aquarium shop and brought in water samples and they couldn't find anything wrong with the water (ammonia and nitrites - zero, nitrates-5ppm) They suggested raising the temp to 84 degrees, adding salt, and changing the carbon - which I did. But they are still dying. I've lost almost 20 in the last week. ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated. Please help.
-w

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tanks sound really over crowded. Get a water testing kit and test your waterfor yourself regularly. Most of the people around here use aquarium pharmaceutucals testing kit. With that many fish in a tank especially the 44 gallon you need to do more frequent water changes. I hope you didn't put salt in the 44 because loaches cannot tolerate salt.
Could you list by tank what fish is left in them please. water reading results for each(ammonia,nitrite,nitrate) temp and pH.

wadem

Reaction score
Thanks butterfly, but I do have a water test kit and I test regularly. I've never had a problem with ammonia or nitrites (always zero) and my nitrates have never been more than 20. This is why I'm so stumped. What's left: 30 gal - One Betta, 10 medium neons, 3 danios and a juvenile gold nugget pleco. 16 gal - one balloon molly. 44 gal - 2 angels, 3 clown loaches, 3 upsidedown catfish, 8 harliquin rasboras, 2 bosemanis, 2 clown plecos.
the temp is still set at 84 (normally I keep it at 78) and the Ph is 6.8. I don't think it is water quality. They've been set up for 2 years and I've never had a problem before. The only thing I can think of is some bacteria or paracite got into my tapwater, because this started a couple of days after my last water change last week. Any ideas?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If your ammonia and nitrite are indeed at zero, and your pH is at 6.8, then your water quality is very good. What about nitrate? Is it at zero too? Nitrate isn't dangerous at low concentrations, but if it's near or above 40 - that could be a problem. What about chlorine? You dechlorinate your water, correct? And what is the temperature of all 3 tanks?

If your water is perfect in all of the above respects, then I cannot think of anything else than some highly infectious disease - some deadly virus or parasite. Do you use the same fish net, or any other accessories, in all of your tanks? If there is a deadly virus, it could be easily transmitted through a fish net used in all 3 tanks - that would explain why fish are dying in all 3 tanks. If you use the same siphon tube (to vacuum your gravel) in all 3 tanks, that would also explain the deaths.

Or ... perhaps you have some decor that is toxic when submerged underwater for prolonged periods of time. Is all of your decor aquarium-safe? If it's not, it could be leaking some toxic substances into the water and thereby killing all of your fish.

wadem

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I do use the same siphon and net for all three. I never thought of that. The only decor I have in any tank is gravel, rocks and live plants. I'm betting on a virus. A bit of good news: today is the first day in a week and a half that I didn't lose a fish. My rasboras are regaining their color and everyone ate today. My fingers are crossed.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The reason I thought you didn't test your own water is in your first post you stated you took water to the fish store to be tested.Sorry If I misunderstood. Glad everything is getting better. Do you think maybe the rest of the tanks were too crowded?
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom