Dying fish (I think) and no hospital tank

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One of my red eyed tetras appears to be dying :-[ or is at the least very weak. and I do not want to leave it in the tank as the others seem to be chasing and picking on it. I do not have a hospital tank but could move it to a 2 gallon tank and just change the water every day. Would that work?

Thank you.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Sorry you fish is ill. That would work as long as it is heated and has a filter.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just a note about red eye tetras. They are one of the species that has a very strong homicide streak in them. You will almost always see them choose one member of the group to begin to wear down until that fish dies. That's one of the reasons that I never kept more after my initial school of them.

Your fish may not be sick at all. It's most likely become the victim. And sadly, I'm not sure there's much you can do about it. Even if you bring it back to a higher quality of life, when it goes back into the community tank, it will once again fall victim.

Edited to add: Do you have the red eyes in your 10 gallon? If so, I would immediately place the rest of the school in a larger tank, at least a 30. They need room, or they become even more murderous.

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for your help. I did not know that about red eyed tetras and yes, they are in the 30 gal.

I don't have a filter, but do have an airpump and bubble stone and a light (keeps the water quite warm - used to keep my betta in it until I moved him to a filtered 5 gal). Could I keep him in the 2 gal this way and just change most of the water every day? I really don't expect him to last very long...he was upside down in a plant when I went home for lunch. It looked like a snail was on him so I shook the plant and he (tetra) dropped to the bottom, where he remained - upright - when I left for work.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally? I'd put him back in the 30. In the 2 gallon, basically he's in an uncycled "tank". I just don't think it's going to help him. And may actually serve to just add to his stress level. I'm so sorry.....

What do you have for decor/plants in the 30? Do your fish have a place to hide if they need to?

Edited to add: You've had this tank running for 3 years and you have an ammonia reading? Are you going through a mini-cycle?

How often do you do regular water changes and how much do you change?

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I am going through a mini cycle (I hope that is all it is) - overcleaned the tank, filters, etc. before leaving town for a week and came back to one dying fish, so tested the water and had ammonia levels of .25, nitrites 0 and nitrates 20 (but this has dropped significantly since I started changing the water every day). Started changing water every day to keep ammonia levels down and ended up having to change 2 x day. This went on for about 10 days. I started using AmQuel+ last week sometime (I have lost track of the days) and still have ammonia readings between .25 and .50 every evening when I change the water. Everyone else "seems" fine, but I am guessing all this has really weakened this guy and probably the others as well. I am about at my wit's end. I thought that mini cycles cleared up pretty quickly but this has dragged on for about 3 weeks. I use the API master kit and test 24 hours after I put the AmQuel+ in - could be I am getting false readings.

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And yes, the fish have plenty of places to hide - lots of plants I will leave him in there.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads