Dying Fancy Goldfish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by thomasf, Jul 26, 2015.

1. t

thomasf New Member Member

My fancy goldfish is having trouble swimming. He's been in my 29 gallon tank for about 4 months now. A couple months ago, he started losing scales. He was still acting normal, so I thought nothing of it. Last night, he kept listing to the side and sinking to the bottom of the tank. I did a test on the water and found that the nitrates were in the "Dangerous" level, so I did a 25% water change. The tank has been up for about 3 years now and I never had an issue with water quality. The tank is not overstocked in any way. I have 4 white cloud minnows, 4 corydora cats, and 2 goldfish. Anyway, back to the fish. All he does now is rest on the leaves of my plastic plant, and only occasionally gets up to swim.

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Nice to meet you! :)

What did you use to test the water?
    How old is he?
    What kind of goldfish is the other one?
    When you say "in the dangerous level" what exactly were your nitrates?
    What are your other water parameters?
    How much water do you take out at water changes and how much?
    Your tank might be slightly overstocked, with two goldies in a 29g with those other fish, but barely if the other one is a fancy too, tmk.

3. OP
    OP
    t

thomasf New Member Member

Thanks for the warm greeting. I'm honestly not sure how old he is, but when he was purchased he was still pretty small. The other goldfish is also a fancy. The test strips I use for my water are Quick Dip 6 Tests in One. Sadly they do not give exact levels of nitrate or ammonia. I do 25% water changes every 2 weeks. I don't want to euthanize the poor fellow yet, because I think he may still have a chance.

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Well, how long have you had him?
    I'm sorry to say, but test strips are inaccurate. A liquid test kit will provide you with much more accurate results; I (and a ton of other people on here) recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, which test for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and high pH. :)
    Also, I'd increase the number of water changes you're doing. 25% every two weeks isn't nearly enough, imo, especially for a tank with two goldfish. For your stocking, I'd try to do at least 25% to 30% weekly, at the very least, but more is preferable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice