Dying Dwarf neon rainbow fish

Jeroen712

Hello Fishlore,

So like 4 or 5 months ago I bought a new 55 gallon aquarium and planted it and put some driftwood, rocks etc in there. 1 Month later after I was sure that the tank was fully cycled (with water tests) I put a school of 10 dwarf neon rainbow fish in there, 3 males and 7 females. Like 1 week later one of the females started bloating, getting a darker colour, seperating herself from the group and having white feces. I thought it was just bad luck on 1 of the rainbows so I didn't really bother taking actions.

Like a week later the same thing happened to one of the males so I took him to my local fish store / farm. They examined him under a microscope and told me that he had "Flagellates" and I had to buy Colombo Flagellex, and that they had to euthanize that specific male because there was no way he could make it. So yeah I bought it and treated the tank with this stuff. Meanwhile 2 other females got the same symptoms and I put them in a QT tank with the medicine, which had no success.

I replaced the 4 rainbows and had success for a month or so but now 1 male is starting to bloat up again, he's still eating but looking significantly worse than all the other rainbows. I've read other stories online about the same issues and they all ended up dying. All my other fish are fine, JuliI cories, ottocinclus, bristlenose and snowball pleco.

So yeah.. does anybody have any advice? They also won't eat peas at all.

I don't want to make this thread too long but want to give as much information as possible, so here are my parameters.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.5
GH: 7
KH: 6-10
Temp: 26 degrees

Light stays on for 8 hours a day on a timer.

86 ssinit

I also bought 10 of these 2+ yrs ago. Last one died about 2 months ago. All went the same way. I wrote it off to breeding. Also I bought mine from 2 different places. Same results. Have bosmanI in the same tank that are close to 5 yrs old and still mating regularly.

Jeroen712

86 ssinit said:
I also bought 10 of these 2+ yrs ago. Last one died about 2 months ago. All went the same way. I wrote it off to breeding. Also I bought mine from 2 different places. Same results. Have bosmanI in the same tank that are close to 5 yrs old and still mating regularly.
It's honestly so demotivating.. especially if you have a very small budget

86 ssinit

Yes it’s a shame. They were expensive. Not sure what there life expectancy is but it just seems to short. Like you said they looked fine than start bloating than died. The first ones I qt but no help. Also noticed that rams die off the same way.

Chanyi

I've had dozens of them, still have some, same thing. Healthy over a year or two, then either bloat and die, or develop sunken stomachs and die. They are overbread and have very poor genetics. The ones I have raised myself are much hardier so far, but time will tell how much more than their parents.

Jeroen712

So I haven't posted on this thread for a while. One of my male dwarf neons sometimes makes vertical or "corkscrew" flips when he's "sparring" or "showing off" to another male, is this normal? he's perfectly healthy and is actually the best looking male. 86 ssinit
Chanyi

Top Bottom