Dying Dragonfish

Brandye

Active Member
Member
Messages
97
Reaction score
6
Location
Texas
Experience
Just started
I was at Walmart yesterday and they have some sad looking dragons they had 6 of them and 2 already looked dead. I had birthday parties to go to so I left them but I hate seeing Fish suffer I have a 55 gallon tank so if I do go back could I save them or are they one of the fish that is hard to bring back? And do I have enough tank? I don’t know if any are still alive but I wanted to ask here before I got them.
 

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,087
Reaction score
2,712
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

Would you mind being able to detail what sort of "dragonfish" this is? There are a number of possibilities it could be, so if you could figure out which specific one it is, it would be really appreciated to better help you
 

Adriifu

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,195
Reaction score
729
Location
Florida (unfortunately)
Experience
5 years
Brandye said:
I was at Walmart yesterday and they have some sad looking dragons they had 6 of them and 2 already looked dead. I had birthday parties to go to so I left them but I hate seeing Fish suffer I have a 55 gallon tank so if I do go back could I save them or are they one of the fish that is hard to bring back? And do I have enough tank? I don’t know if any are still alive but I wanted to ask here before I got them.
I personally wouldn't buy them, as that would be encouraging Walmart to sell more. You can still use their products to improve the water's quality, though. I've seen numerous videos on YouTube where people who don't work there clean the tanks, remove dead fish, and add helpful chemicals. I doubt any employees will bother you, but if they do, you can always use the fact that they're abusing animals as an argument.
 

Adriifu

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,195
Reaction score
729
Location
Florida (unfortunately)
Experience
5 years
Brandye said:
I was at Walmart yesterday and they have some sad looking dragons they had 6 of them and 2 already looked dead. I had birthday parties to go to so I left them but I hate seeing Fish suffer I have a 55 gallon tank so if I do go back could I save them or are they one of the fish that is hard to bring back? And do I have enough tank? I don’t know if any are still alive but I wanted to ask here before I got them.
I personally wouldn't buy them, as that would be encouraging Walmart to sell more. You can still use their products to improve the water's quality, though. I've seen numerous videos on YouTube where people who don't work there clean the tanks, remove dead fish, and add helpful chemicals. I doubt any employees will bother you, but if they o
 

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,106
Reaction score
3,188
Location
Manitoba Canada
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like a dragon goby. Brackish water fish that is usually sold in fresh water as young. I think they get around 12” long and as badly as I want one, I would not take the risk of trying to switch a sick fish over to brackish.
 

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,087
Reaction score
2,712
Location
California
Experience
More than 10 years
If it is something similar to that pic, that would be a violet goby and they get very long (12"+) and require brackish water. In addition to poor Walmart conditions, the lack of salt is largely the issue.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Brandye

Brandye

Active Member
Member
Messages
97
Reaction score
6
Location
Texas
Experience
Just started
Ok I just feel so bad for them. I don’t know the norms for the Fish but you can just look at them and know they are sick. I might doctor the tank next time I go. I just hate that they are going to die in that tiny tank or someone that doesn’t know is going to buy them.
 

UglyAsian

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,935
Reaction score
371
Location
Austin,Texas
Experience
5 years
I applaud you for your humanity, but maybe find someone who has a big brackish tank who will take them in? Putting an already close-to-death fish in bad conditions will not be worth the trouble of keeping it alive for another few day. I once bought a puffer with bad health issues and it died the next day. In my honest judgement it is not worth the trouble, especially if it dies when you get fond of it.
 

Adriifu

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,195
Reaction score
729
Location
Florida (unfortunately)
Experience
5 years
Brandye said:
Ok I just feel so bad for them. I don’t know the norms for the Fish but you can just look at them and know they are sick. I might doctor the tank next time I go. I just hate that they are going to die in that tiny tank or someone that doesn’t know is going to buy them.
Good luck Hopefully they'll feel better.
 

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,106
Reaction score
3,188
Location
Manitoba Canada
Experience
5 to 10 years
UglyAsian said:
I applaud you for your humanity, but maybe find someone who has a big brackish tank who will take them in? Putting an already close-to-death fish in bad conditions will not be worth the trouble of keeping it alive for another few day. I once bought a puffer with bad health issues and it died the next day. In my honest judgement it is not worth the trouble, especially if it dies when you get fond of it.
You can’t put it straight in brackish water, the shock will kill it. It has to be fresh water that you convert over a few day/weeks to brackish.
 

Sarcasm Included

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,723
Reaction score
687
Location
Manassas, VA
Experience
More than 10 years
It does not take weeks to switch the fish over to brackish water, most can go from fresh to marine in less than an hour. A significant percentage of brackish environments change salinity drastically as the tides come in and out.
Your bacteria is another story and even that depends upon how high the salinity gets. If your going over 1.p08 your going to need to take is slow because freshwater bacteria reproduction slows and halts as you get over 1.012.

All that said, don't buy sick fish and please don't buy from Wal-Mart. It just rewarding them with your money so that they can buy a dozen more.
 

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
13,459
Reaction score
2,251
Location
San Diego
Experience
5 to 10 years
Brandye said:
Ok I just feel so bad for them. I don’t know the norms for the Fish but you can just look at them and know they are sick. I might doctor the tank next time I go. I just hate that they are going to die in that tiny tank or someone that doesn’t know is going to buy them.
No. Leave the tank alone. The best thing you can do for fish that aren't well-cared for is to not buy them. If people don't buy the fish, the store will stop carrying fish.

If you're feeling a particular need to do something, call WalMart's corporate office and make a complaint about the store.
 

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,106
Reaction score
3,188
Location
Manitoba Canada
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sarcasm Included said:
It does not take weeks to switch the fish over to brackish water, most can go from fresh to marine in less than an hour. A significant percentage of brackish environments change salinity drastically as the tides come in and out.
Your bacteria is another story and even that depends upon how high the salinity gets. If your going over 1.p08 your going to need to take is slow because freshwater bacteria reproduction slows and halts as you get over 1.012.

All that said, don't buy sick fish and please don't buy from Wal-Mart. It just rewarding them with your money so that they can buy a dozen more.
Really?? Captive caught that makes sence but if they’ve been (incorrectly) raised in fresh won’t the salinity shock do damage? Even adding salt as a medication it’s stil a tiny amount over a couple hours but nothing close to brackish conditions. I’d think it would still be a few days. Not trying to correct you, I honestly don’t have a foggy clue, I’m just curious.
 

Sarcasm Included

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,723
Reaction score
687
Location
Manassas, VA
Experience
More than 10 years
You could shock them if you dropped them directly in high brackish or marine conditions from fresh, more so if going from marine to freshwater, but your only talking raising it to 1.004-1.008 for a dragon goby which can be between .5 -2 hours without harming him at all. You should put him in freshwater to begin and add dissolved marine salt to the tank to raise it. When doing water changes, add freshwater and then add dissolved salt after to simulate changing tides. You should regularly move the tank above his comfort level and below, this will help keep him healthy and kill off parasites and bacteria.
 

IndigoTJo

Well Known
Member
Messages
710
Reaction score
311
Location
Everett, WA
Experience
1 year
That is a prehistoric dragon goby, they are actually brackish water fish. Many pet stores have them in freshwater; they can survive 3-4 weeks in soft freshwater.

I bought my dragon goby online on a site that listed it as a freshwater fish, with no mention of akalinity, salinity or brackish water in their care and information log. It is a long story, but he/she is a year old. I am constantly looking for signs of stress, because I know as they age, they typically need more salinity. I have done the best I can in my tank for it by raising the alkalinity and feeding diverse foods. I may still need to convert to brackish eventually.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
256
Guests online
3,366
Total visitors
3,622

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom