Dying Cory Cat

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by s2c2, Jul 31, 2015.

1. s

s2c2 Valued Member Member

We're losing our first fish today. :( One of our cory cats is currently in the process of dying. She's lying on her side, breathing heavily. She has moved a couple of times, only to wobbly swim nearby and land on her side again. My question is this... can I let her die in peace or do I need to remove her now? She has not signs of disease. Her skin/scales look fine. I just hate to bother her or cause her more trauma if I don't have to. We've only had her for a couple of weeks. Thank you.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry to hear about that. What are you water parameters? And I'm assuming the cory is in your 10g? What other fish do you have in there? Is she in a shoal of her own species?

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

A 10 gallon is too small for cory cats. What are your water parameters and is the tank cycled?

4. OP
    OP
    s

Yes, the tank is fully cycled. Water parameters are good. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Nitrate is 5. Temp is 76 degrees. There is only one other cory cat with her and 6 neons. They are in a 10 gallon, waiting to be moved to a 29 gallon. I'm using the 10 gallon as a quarantine tank before moving fish into the 29.

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Sadly it sounds like it may be too late to save her, have you added anything new to the tank recently & what do you feed them?
    If there are no outward signs of disease & your water stats are good it's hard to say what it could be, can you get a clear pic of her?

6. OP
    OP
    s

I actually fed them a shelled pea for the first time yesterday or the day before. I read online that it was good for fish, but maybe not cory cats??

7. OP
    OP
    s

Here is a photo...
    [​IMG]

8. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

9. OP
    OP
    s

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice