Dying Cherry Shrimp

Cameron2585

Hi,
In the last week or two my cherry shrimp have been dying. There are lots of shrimplets and those are doing fine, only the adults and juveniles are dying.
Parameters:
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
GH 16
kH 6
pH 6.3
Temperature is at around 24°C
I add liquid fertilizers into the tank for the plants. I did a water change and removed all the algae and lava rocks and added a piece of driftwood but the shrimp are still dying.

Sydsam

shrimp are hard...ive had a bunch die on me...keep at it, eventually they will thrive...just don't change water parameters too much. I can't wait to get some shrimplets

Cameron2585

shrimp are hard...ive had a bunch die on me...keep at it, eventually they will thrive...just don't change water parameters too much. I can't wait to get some shrimplets
I have just found some new shrimplets which hatched last night and I hope they don't die now

Deep Dave

Is there any Medication or Ferts that you use that contain excessive Copper?

Cameron2585

Is there any Medication or Ferts that you use that contain excessive Copper?
I don't think so. I use liquid CO2, potash, trace, phosphorous and nitrate

richiep

My first thoughts is the fertiliser can you post a picture of ingredients

Cameron2585

My first thoughts is the fertiliser can you post a picture of ingredients
Ive been using them for a very long time now so they're not something new that I've added

IMG_20190205_174108.jpg

richiep

That rules them out excpt one, the one on the right is a highly concentrate of Nitrait if I'm correct. Do a nitrait test if it's above 20pp that will kill

Cameron2585

That rules them out excpt one, the one on the right is a highly concentrate of Nitrait if I'm correct. Do a nitrait test if it's above 20pp that will kill
Ive done one this morning and nitrates are at 0-10

richiep

Ok how long as the tank been running and when did you last introduce shrimp, any untoward signs on the shrimp, a photo of your tank may also help and closeups of shrimp, sorry for all the questions but it dose help break things down

Cameron2585

Ok how long as the tank been running and when did you last introduce shrimp, any untoward signs on the shrimp, a photo of your tank may also help and closeups of shrimp, sorry for all the questions but it dose help break things down
Tank has been running for over a year and the shrimp have been in for a few months. Here are some photos (camera isn't very good so the water looks a little dirty but it actually not)

IMG_20190211_123338.jpg
IMG_20190211_123446.jpg
IMG_20190211_123410.jpg

Anto26

I've heard CO2 is tough for shrimp. I don't know if that might be causing your problem. It's buffering the Ph. 6.3 is pretty low for neos.

richiep

Your correct there Anto26 it is low for cherries I'd prefer 6.8 to 7.8 but don't think it will kill them I have them in 6.5 with caridina and breeding but there is a fine line, I don't know much about co2 other than it takes oxygen out of the water at night which can be harmful to shrimp i'v never used liquid ferts in any of my tanks just the substrait designed with shrimp in mind, what substrait are you using?
Have you seen any moults in the tank?

Cameron2585

Your correct there Anto26 it is low for cherries I'd prefer 6.8 to 7.8 but don't think it will kill them I have them in 6.5 with caridina and breeding but there is a fine line, I don't know much about co2 other than it takes oxygen out of the water at night which can be harmful to shrimp i'v never used liquid ferts in any of my tanks just the substrait designed with shrimp in mind, what substrait are you using?
Have you seen any moults in the tank?
There are a few moults yea and for substrate I'm using some kind of gravel with nutrients but I don't have the brand name

richiep

Liquid co2 will kill shrimp if overdosed but I don't know the safe limit for shrimp that's something you need to find out to eliminate that, the other thing to look at it the ammount of stuff going in the tank
Gravel with nutrients, 5 bottles of food fertilizer and liquid co2, all that can't be good for your shrimp, the less chemicals in the tank the better for shrimp, think about what you don't need and stop them and to help the situation I'd do a normal water change to thin out what's in there and leave out all chemicals short term to see if things improve

Jellibeen

What do their dead bodies look like?

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom