Dying And Shriveling Plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Logan.t.Foster, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Logan.t.Foster

Logan.t.FosterWell Known MemberMember

I have had these plants for a while, and my amazon sword just started to die, and the hygrophillia started to shrivel a month ago. I dose bottled flourish and place flourish root tabs right next to the base of the plants. I don't have an air pump in my 29 gallon, but it should be here today or tomorrow. I do have an air pump in the 20 gallon. These plants looked great at Petco, and I am a bit embarrassed that they are better at keeping plants than I am.

29 gallon:
    IMG_5333.JPG
    IMG_5334.JPGIMG_5335.JPGIMG_5336.JPG
    20 Gallon:
    IMG_5337.JPG

2. jjohnwmValued MemberMember

I'm far from being a plant expert; some species just don't do well for me, while others grow like weeds. But I rarely buy a plant and bring it home without losing most of the leaves that it came with. As long as new ones come in to replace those, I'm happy.

I got an E.paniculatus sword recently. planted it in soil-under-sand in a pot, and watched it. All of those original beautiful leaves are slowly fading...but at least 8 new ones have appeared, and are growing and looking great. Additionally, the plant has suddenly produced two long (8 - 12 inches) stalks with several new plantlets appearing on them.

And, for all you know, Petco just got those plants in the day you bought them...they might have fallen apart even faster if they stayed there. :)

3. ghostlybosun

ghostlybosunWell Known MemberMember

Well it does appear to me that you have some deficiencies. I'm not savvy on seachem line up though so I'll wait for someone else to help you with that.
    However, your Hygrophila appears to be H. difformis. In which case it is going to melt as the leaves are still emersed form. If it recovers the new leaves will be finer. It appears that it has some of the newer leaves on top but they do not look terribly healthy.
    I'm sure someone will be right along to help with fert advice.

4. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

Should i cut off the bad leaves on the sword plant?

5. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

Never mind, all the leaves are like that.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

7. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

Is that what I am missing?

8. Thunder_o_b

Yes. I use the Seachem line extensively. The potassium is one that I use once or twice a week. I recommend getting the 1 liter bottle for their products. Far less expensive in the long run.

9. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Possibly. I want to say you need to dose your flourish more also for calcium. Your hygro will melt, but even the new growth looks curled, that usually means not enough calcium. Im thinking you need a macro in that tank also, judging by the big leaves with those spots. A good macro and micro, when used together, should fix these issues. You can find all in ones that contain everything except enough iron. The reason they dont have enough iron is because it doesnt play well with the other nutrients and will become bound and unusable to plants.

10. Thunder_o_b

Good po
    good point. Minerals need to be added on a different day from Flourish.

11. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

So I should add flourish on, like, Monday and Thursday, and Iron on Wednesday, and potassium on Saturday.

12. WraithenWell Known MemberMember

Flourish is micros. Iron is a micro. Potassium is a macro. You just cant add macros and iron at the same day. If you do weekly water changes I would do macros on day 1, 3, 5, and micros on days 2, 4, and 6. If you dont want to dose as frequently, have your light run for 2 hours less everyday. That will slow growth and uptake of nutrients.

If you want to continue using the seachem line, im sure @Thunder_o_b could give you tips on individual dosing regimen.

13. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

What is the difference between a macro and a micro?

14. ghostlybosun

ghostlybosunWell Known MemberMember

Macro nutrients are needed in larger volume for good plant growth.
    Nitrogen
    Potassium
    Phosphorus
    Micro nutrients are still needed for good growth but in less volume
    Iron
    Calcium
    Magnesium
    Etc.

15. OP
    OP
    Logan.t.Foster

So I should get iron and potassium. And dose potassium on day 2, 4, and 6, and dose flourish and iron on days 1, 3, and 5. Right?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice