Dyed fish.

Girlsbeforefish

Just wanted to share a video I found. Its truly disgusting.

lilirish

In the background it says "Ornamental Fish Association" - - disgusting

fbn

A local LFS has these...

Everythingzen

It's so awfully unnatural and so very unattractive. There's nothing appealing about these poor fish.

The dyed fish at my local places are mostly still white with a band of colour across the top.

aqua14

I've seen many places with these fish and others, dyed glass fish, mollies, platies and just about anything. Its really sad that people would do this. Those fish are suffering and will die shortly just killing fish...sad

Virt

I have to admit, while I totally disagree with dyeing fish and think its a horrible practice that should be eliminated, that tank does look kinda cool as a feature, though, totally unnatural and not the look I would want in any of my aquariums.

Girlsbeforefish

Its a ploy to attract young kids into buying them just because they are their favorite color. Maybe even adults IMO

maestroDAWG

Yeah. I often feel glassfish are among the most unfortunate fish species (besides goldfish) due to misinformation. They're often dyed, people say they do well in brackish water... It boggles the mind how this sort of poo gets circulated and seeds in the minds of the public.

KineticMind

I've been seeing more and more dyed fish in major pet stores lately, and it is unfortunate that they're becoming so popular. Same goes for tattoed fish. It's so tempting to buy them only so that I'll know that they'll be cared for after the terrible way they've been treated in the past... but then I'd just be fueling the fire even more.

Girlsbeforefish

Yea. Buying one fish might help that single fish but not the whole industry of dying fish. Buying dyed fish is supported them. Like Spock once said, The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

wisecrackerz

I just "discovered" tattooed fish this weekend. At first, I was like "Oh, wow, somebody bread oscars with pink and blue spots?! Amazing!" And then I was like "wait, that one looks like a heart... thats... amazing...?" And then I went over to the molly tank and saw "tattooed mollies" and I was like "oh, this must be a new color variant..." And then it wasn't. And I was sad.

People tattoo fish. But I can't afford one. I can buy a fish with a tattoo, who never wanted one and didn't get to pick the design, but I can't get one. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS WORLD?!

lugia10159

Dying fish is soo cruel! I think we should protest out local lfs that sell them

Pacucichlidfishkeeper

Yeah lets protest lol I'm in

gourami88

I have seen these at the Petsmart and Petcos in the area. Thankfully my LFS refuses to sell them. I heard the owner informing a customer who had requested them exactly how they are died and the person was totally disgusted...hopefully they will spread the word.

wisecrackerz

My face hurts from face/palming too hard. There are lots of other things I want to say about this kid, but I'm going to limit it to that.
props to G88's LFS! That's awesome. I wish more stores took that view.
but still. tattooed fish. i'd like to find the person that first thought this was a good idea, just so I can herring-slap them.

fish hunter

I hate the whole dying process . I am in the protest

soltarianknight

I ended it at my LFS, they used to order them in, I threatened to stop coming and having my friends stop coming if they continued to show lack of care for the fishes condition. Being that we are all weekly visitors and customers(my one friend buys 40mice a month) They stoped.

Oh and there are good and bad ways to dye a fured animal. Of course there's hardly a good reason.
Hairdyes and chems are too harsh for animal. But koolaid and simple color powders are harmless, we actualy diyed our holstein to support breat cancer(he was at the convention for a diffrent purpose) we used coloerd sugar water, didnt hurt him and washed right out.

soltarianknight

Lol, previous post. So from what I know there are 2 methods for dying fish, the first is acid dips and then dye dips and the second was injection. Aside from genetic mutating those are the only ones I'm aware of. Unless they have properties similar to the himilayan rabbit who will get dark fur when cooled(while a babby)

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Karmie121506