Dyed Arowanas

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Ping Pong, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Ping PongNew MemberMember

Hello,

I'm looking for someone who has knowledge on dyed arowanas. I have the option to rescue one for free, and I will be placing it in a 250gal tank, which may be upgraded to a bigger size down the road as the arowana grows.

What I don't understand is that my LFS told me someone had dyed the arowana. Is this ethical? Are there complications that could arise out of this?

It's a beautiful blue arowana, and I don't mind that the color is not natural, but what I don't understand is the concept of dying it, and if that could cause any issues.

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

From what I have read this is what the main issues are:
    Weakened immune system

Reduced lifespan

Stunted growth

Eventual loss of colored dye (within a few months)

Increased risk of infection.
    here is a good link:

good luck with everything! I'd love to see pics if you get it :)

3. OP
    OP
    P

Ping PongNew MemberMember

It is unfortunate that it could have complications of that. I think I'm going to get it anyways since I can at least ensure that it will have a good remainder of it's life, especially since it's had a rough life thus far.

Hopefully the lifespan isn't shortened too much. Will post pics tonight. Also, thanks for the share!

4. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

I think I would do the same thing - you didn't go out LOOKING for a dyed one but why not give it the best quality of life if given the opportunity :) I'd LOVE to see pics when you get it!

5. Feesh404

Feesh404Well Known MemberMember

Is it cycled? Test the water also!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice