Dwarf Water Lettuce Care Question

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Messages
2,139
Reaction score
626
Points
128
Experience
1 year
I am so happy with my dwarf water lettuce (DWL). Each plant has put out 1-2 little runners & baby plants seem to be forming. However, what I really like & want to imitate is from other posters photos (I have seen over the years) are the dense tangles of roots of what look like one huge plant.
How does that happen?
Is it one plant or a collection of the small plants rafted together by runners?
I would appreciate any help!
 

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Messages
3,947
Reaction score
2,212
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
How long has you had them for? With my experience with plants, ones thats bigger (roots, leaves ect) are normally a lot more mature... so it could just be a waiting game.

Other good ideas is that fish may be nibbling them, or increasing the amount of fertilisers.
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,312
Reaction score
8,101
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
Mom2some said:
I am so happy with my dwarf water lettuce (DWL). Each plant has put out 1-2 little runners & baby plants seem to be forming. However, what I really like & want to imitate is from other posters photos (I have seen over the years) are the dense tangles of roots of what look like one huge plant.
How does that happen?
Is it one plant or a collection of the small plants rafted together by runners?
I would appreciate any help!
A generous member here gifted me some dwarf lettuce. It has started putting out runners and baby plants too. I put some in my 5.5 and the rest in my 55. At first it wanted to spread out but now that it is growing roots and producing more plants it is starting to stick together. One of my HOB filters tends to keep it pushed together in the front corner of the tank. I do have a bit of hornwort floating along with it and that may be helping keep it together.

I know all of it tries to run away from moving water and the 2 front corners of my tank have the least amount of movement. The corner it is growing in has the least amount of surface movement. I have a corner filter in my 5.5 and all of the water lettuce stays on the opposite side of the tank and is now sticking together. I did take a bit of time for it to start sticking together.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Messages
2,139
Reaction score
626
Points
128
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
How long has you had them for? With my experience with plants, ones thats bigger (roots, leaves ect) are normally a lot more mature... so it could just be a waiting game.

Other good ideas is that fish may be nibbling them, or increasing the amount of fertilisers.
I understand it needs to mature. I just want the underwater look of a huge plant mass with tons of roots. If there are steps I can take to encourage that type of growth, then I hope to learn how. Thank you
 

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Messages
9,312
Reaction score
8,101
Points
608
Experience
More than 10 years
It seems like I have read that some folks form some kind of barrier to kinda corral the plants until there are enough of them in one spot to help the roots attach to each other.

I was thinking something like plastic canvas cut in strips about 3/4" wide and somehow anchored in place would help keep them together until there are enough roots. I would think airline tubing suction cups would work for anchoring the plastic canvas in place. I had actually already thought about doing this but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
 

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Messages
3,947
Reaction score
2,212
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
Mom2some said:
I understand it needs to mature. I just want the underwater look of a huge plant mass with tons of roots. If there are steps I can take to encourage that type of growth, then I hope to learn how. Thank you
If it came out the wrong way, i was meaning the steps you really require is suitable water conditions for floaters - minimal water movement if possible, good lighting and ferts in the watercolumn - and just wait.... the steps is legit just waiting IMO.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Messages
2,139
Reaction score
626
Points
128
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
If it came out the wrong way, i was meaning the steps you really require is suitable water conditions for floaters - minimal water movement if possible, good lighting and ferts in the watercolumn - and just wait.... the steps is legit just waiting IMO.

Waiting stinks. I have already set things up so the canister return is under the surface of the water, so there is water movement, but no waterfall to submerge the plants. I will just let them be for now... my nitrate tends toward 20+ weekly, so that should be okay. They must be happy since they are growing runners. Perhaps makes up for the fact my corydoras have never successfully spawned (that I can see - but it is a community tank so any making it would be a shock).
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom