Dwarf Seahorse Tank Setup

Lollipop0912

Thanks so much for all the advice on dwarf seahorses I’ve gotten on this forum. Since I finally went and got the tank, I figured Id start a separate thread and update it with my successes and my failures(undoubtedly I will have some.) So for all of you who are interested, read on:
Day 1: Shopping...
today I went to three local fish stores. At one, I got some live sand, chaeto, pre mixed seawater, and baby brine shrimp.
At the second store, I got an aqueon 10 gallon aquarium kit for 50$. The kit came with a power filter (I’ll cover the intake and it’ll be fine. It doesn’t even disturb the water.)the tank, a hood, the lights, water conditioner and various fish foods. The foods I’ll use for cycling the tank. I also got air pumps 2 with 2 outlets for the BBS hatcheries, one with one outlet for aeration in the Dwarf tank.
At the third store, I tried to get a sponge filter. Of course, they didn’t have any...
That night, I set up the tank.
Day 2: Cycling.... The never ending annoyance
Today, I started cycling my tank. I don’t think I’ve ever intentionally wayyy overfed a tank.
Later: YES YES YES! I have ammonia! Who knew I’d ever be so happy to see a water test come back with bad results! When I told my mom she was like:” Wait! I thought ammonia was bad.” Then I explained how it was part of the cycling process and was good in this scenario. “Well, congratulations on having poisonous water.” She said.
I’m up to .25 ppm. I still have to play with the ph to get it around 8. The temperature is 78 degrees farenheight.

Gypsy13

Ooooh. This sounds interesting! Keep giving detailed updates. I’ll have my very own audiobook on dwarf sea horse build! Wishing you only good luck! Oh, congratulations on the ammonia! So exciting!

Lollipop0912

Day 3: the waiting......
Today the ammonia was at .50 ppm.
I think it’s starting to go down now. It looks closer to .25 ppm. I’m going to update as soon as I see any changes. I’m hoping some time this week.

Gypsy13

I’ll be checking! I’m still excited!

Lollipop0912

Day 7 or 8 (I’ve lost count)
Today my ammonia was at .25 ppm
Nitrate was at .50 ppm
Nitrite was at 30.
Still cycling...

Lollipop0912

Today, my tank finished cycling!!! 0,0,20!!!
So, I went ahead and added panceur to my main tank. Also, I started my baby brine shrimp experiment! I’m sure my room has more space devoted to fish than people! Once the shrimp hatch, My 30 gallon freshwater is going to have a lot of fun eating them...

Lollipop0912

I added fish food. Heavy handedly. It has been closer to 11+ days though. I posted my first message 2 days late! But, I added Carib sea live sand which is marketed to accelerate cycling to . I’ve dutifully tested water and I to am slightly shocked.
Edit: I’m re testing my perameters now.
They are still 0,0,10
This is probably due to me just dosing medicine or just cleaning the filter gently.

Gypsy13

Lollipop0912 said:
Today, my tank finished cycling!!! 0,0,20!!!
So, I went ahead and added panceur to my main tank. Also, I started my baby brine shrimp experiment! I’m sure my room has more space devoted to fish than people! Once the shrimp hatch, My 30 gallon freshwater is going to have a lot of fun eating them...
Yay! Super cool!

Lollipop0912

Today, I figured I’d update.
My local fish store still says that the dwarfs aren’t on their stocking list. Their supplier hasn’t gotten them in for a few weeks before I ordered. They aren’t sure when they’ll come in. Grrrrrrr... I’m considering driving 30ish miles to check out a new fishtore. I love my LFS but it’s been a month and I’m getting impatient! I’m considering going to the other stores BC I haven’t been there in person and I’m worried about sick fish. If I order from somewhere, I’d like the fish in the store to look healthy. Of course, 1 or 2 dead ones is OK but overall, I’d like to see if the fish are alive.
And... it’s another excuse to add to my list of LFS’s
And.... looking at a new store never hurts. Maybe they have some cool plants!!!

Gypsy13

AND going to a new store is like FUN! I wish we had more options here. There’s one forty miles away but they focus on sw.

I can’t wait to hear your tank! Thank you for the update!

Lollipop0912

I went to two new fish stores today. Neither of them had ever gotten Dwarf Seahorses on their stocking list. That's a total of 5 stores that can't get them in! I'm going to have to order them online. Does anybody have thoughts on a good place to get them from online. Ive already looked at liveaquaria. However, I'm looking for some other options. Any thoughts?
Ps. One of them had some very nice plants and a HUGE Asian arowana. I got one. I had to refrain from getting the other.

ValerieAdams

Well I'm late to this thread but I'm excited for you! I love seahorses. Can't wait to follow along your journey

Lollipop0912

Update:
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes to the power of 10000.
Maybe I should explain...
I finally got the seahorses. I got them online because no LFS could get them in. They’ll be here by the 6th of July!!! I’m planning on carefully acclimating. Anyhow... where I got them.

GoldFiska

You may already have this, but I recommend that you enrich the BBS with Selco. I had a friend who kept dwarf seahorses, and their health deteriorated within the first couple months because the Artemia wasn’t gut-loaded. BBS alone is not enough for dwarf seahorses.

Lollipop0912

Thanks. I didn’t already have it but was planning to get it. Thanks for the reply.

Gypsy13

Lollipop0912 said:
Update:
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes to the power of 10000.
Maybe I should explain...
I finally got the seahorses. I got them online because no LFS could get them in. They’ll be here by the 6th of July!!! I’m planning on carefully acclimating. Anyhow... where I got them.
I’m so happy for you! And excited too. Can’t wait! Take pics! The unboxing and everything! Oh yeah!

Lollipop0912

So, I have an update:
I ordered from eBay and by seahorses came today!!!
I literally camped out in the front yard waiting for the FedEx delivery person. Then, the miracles from the mail came!!!
They are acclimated and chilling in their new tank!
Here are some pics.
Ps. I paid for 6 dwarf seahorses and got 10 plus a dwarf pipefish! All of them came thorough shipping amazingly and now think my airline tubing going to my air stone is the cats meow (see what I did there Gypsy13 )
Pps. Pics of the unboxing to come soon.
Ppps. I think the black male on the green macro is pregnant. Can anyone confirm???

GoldFiska

Lollipop0912 said:
So, I have an update:
I literally camped out in the front yard waiting for the FedEx delivery person. Then, the miracles from the mail came!!!
Here are some pics.
Ps. I paid for 6 dwarf seahorses and got 10 plus a dwarf pipefish! All of them came thorough shipping amazingly and now think my airline tubing going to my air stone is the cats meow (see what I did there Gypsy13 )
Ppps. I think the black male on the green macro is pregnant. Can anyone confirm???
They are so cute holy moly.

Gypsy13

Lollipop0912 said:
So, I have an update:
Here are some pics.
Bonus buy! They sound absolutely adorable! Meow

aussieJJDude

Ohh. Its is cool. IM SUBBING.

congrats on the new additions!

ValerieAdams

Lollipop0912 said:
So, I have an update:
Here are some pics.
Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. This may be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. So jealous!

Lollipop0912

So, I've been awfully quiet recently.
Heres Why:
During the first week, 6 seahorses died. Two the first day and they just kept dwindling down. I was so sad that I couldn't keep these guys alive. As a last ditch effort to save them, I moved them to a 1 gallon cycled tank. I figured that I had nothing to loose and these guys were going to keep dying if I didn't try something.
Low and behold, since moving them to the one gallon, not a single seahorse has died! We're going on a week and a half with 0 seahorse deaths!
So, I learned:
1. bigger isn't always better
2. seahorses are just soooooo dang cute (this is a very notable lesson)
3. I CAN keep saltwater alive!!!
4. With research and fishlore, all things are possible.
Maybe I should mention, dwarf seahorses were my first saltwater fish ever.
(I know, it's like never keeping a fish before and then getting discus!)
I'm currently on the top of the world.

Lucy

Aw, I'm so sorry you lost some. That must have been heart breaking.
Congrats on the survivors though. That's so exciting!

Lorekeeper

Sorry to hear about the losses. That's always tough, especially with something as cute as a pony.

I'll agree with everything you said. Bigger isn't always better. I'm not sure that 1 gallon is where you want to stay for their entire lives, but if it's working for you for now, keep it going!

I love that you're having success. I'll have some of these guys one day. Right now, it's just not feasible. Hatching the food is a deal breaker, since I don't have the room for a hatchery. And if I did, I'm not sure that I'd have the time to get good hatch rates.

Can we get some pics?

IHaveADogToo

I'm so sorry you sustained such heavy losses. But I think I've heard of this before... I think I've heard that with the dwarf seahorses specifically, they need a super tiny tank, like 2.5 gallons or smaller. Your post here confirms it for me.

Lollipop0912

Yeah. I think partially shipping killed them and partially it was the dead bbs from the amount of food you have to give a ten gallon. The funny thing is I got all my current tank equipment from petsmart for 11.99 as opposed to 49.00

Lollipop0912

Ok. Lorekeeper
Here are some pics of the spawning behavior I caught last night. This is right after they transferred eggs. And here’s the mess of a brine shrimp hatchery...

Lorekeeper

Looks great! I'll definitely be getting some of these guys whenever I have the time to care for them. If they're spawning, they must be happy! Can you raise the fry in home aquariums? I'd imagine they'd need rotifers, so probably not the easiest fry to raise.

As for the hatchery, it's not bad at all. I've always used a jar designed to make sun tea in. It's got a spigot on the bottom, and is usually glass. Run an airline through the top of the jar, and sit a lamp next to it. Always had pretty good hatch rates with that method!

Lollipop0912

Lorekeeper
I'm hoping to get them on baby brine shrimp. The funny thing is that I've never had fry before. I really hope these babies thrive.

Latest threads

Top Bottom