Dwarf seahorse care?

Flowingfins

I just went to a local aquarium today and they had dwarf sea horses. My dad said he wants me to start a saltwater tank (another reason to get another tank.....) and I thought,why not some dwarf seahorses?

I have done some research on them already.
I know I will need to feed them 2+ times a day with live BBS. I'm fine with that. I have experience with BBS and don't mind them.
They don't like strong flow. The tank HAS to be cycled before adding them.

I think I'm going to use a 10 gallon with a 1" live sand bed. No live rock, it can carry nasties and I don't want any in the tank. I will be adding dead rock though. Macro algae for them to grab onto. Plastic plants for them. Feeding trough? Sponge filter.

Questions.
How do feeding troughs work?
How many pairs in a ten gallon?
Any clean up crew?
Will snails or micro starfish work?
What lights?
Do they jump?

I will be doing lots of research before purchasing them. I know seahorses are hard to care for, but I'm up for the challenge.

Thanks in advance

Teishokue

You might want to start with a saltwater tank with fish first. Sea horses are very delicate

Flowingfins

I know they are. My dad has lots of experience with saltwater. This probably won't be happening for a little while anyways. I don't even have their tank yet.

Flowingfins

Bump...
I found some good links. I'll edit them into this post in a little bit. I will have to dip everything in a freshwater bath to kill hydroids before I put anything in the tank. Hydroids are the #1 killer of dwarfs.

Oh, the species I'm looking at is H. Zosterae, named after the eel grass they are found in.
Here are the links-
seahorse.org - Tankmates
DWARF BASICS
Smithsonian Marine Station | Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

I have been reading some of you pony threads. How did you train yours onto a feeding trough?

Flowingfins

Bump
I have decided to cycle the tank, have a Picasso clown and goby/pistol shrimp pair to establish the tank for a few months so I can have some basic salt knowledge, and get the ponies later. I will move the clown and other inhabitants to another tank when that time comes though.

I still want the info on the ponies though

Claire Bear

HI Flowing fins. Keep in mind that dwarf seahorses require live food. You will either need to purchase brine shrimp or mass produce them for your dwarfs.
A feeding post is easily accomplished with a clear tube and turkey baster-slowly allow the food to go through the tube and have some kind of trough set up at the end-not sure this works on the dwarfs however!
Good luck with your babies when the time comes!

Flowingfins

Thanks for your help claireputput your right about the feeding trough. I would need to create a "snowstorm" of BBS in the tank instead of usong a trough. I know I would have to mass produce BBS but I'm fine with that. I have experience with the BBS hatching and know what it requires.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BillynJennifer
  • CrayfishAreAwesome
  • Seahorse
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views