Dwarf Sagitaria Subulata- Why No Growth?

1. California L33 Well Known Member Member

I started a planted 3 gallon nano tank about a month ago. I researched easy to grow, no CO2 plants, and choosing from what was available, put in a Java Fern, Anubias Nana Petite, Staurogyne Repens, and Dwarf Sagitaria Subulata.

The Java Fern and Anubias are healthy and have shown moderate growth.

The Staurogyne Repens is healthy and growing quickly.

Of the 12 clumps of Sagitaria Subulata (a few blades each) 7 have died, 3 are still alive, but only 1 shows growth, and not much. (Edit: OK, so I wasn't a math major. Let's make that 9 have died, and 3 are still alive.)

The tank has a gravel substrate treated with Seachem Flourish tabs and nothing else. Light comes from an 18 watt (6x3) LED clip-on which I leave on for 8 hours a day.

While I did cycle the tank, I’ve got a Betta with a ripped fin and have been doing 40% water changes every other day to speed recovery, leaving ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates at pretty close to zero, and the pH at 7.0. Water temp is moving between about 80 and 86, weather dependent, not heated.

So, what’s going on with the Sagitaria? Why no growth? Is it a lack of nitrates because the water is changed so much, or is some other parameter out of whack for it?
  2. BuddyD Member Member

My D. Sag is about a month old and though all 5 are alive, i've seen no signs of growth.

3. Catfish12345 Well Known Member Member

Mine only grew a few runners at first, but when I put it directly under the light, it started sending off runners like crazy. I don't give any nutrients, so maybe lighting might be a problem