Dwarf Sag Not Doing Well - I Need Help!!

Owen88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I planted some dwarf sag three weeks ago and it was doing fine but over the past week it has started to quickly die. I am using a plant plus on max from 7 am to 6 pm where I turn it to night mode till 9 then off. I am also dosing excel flourish Twitter ce per week. I am also noticing a recent sudden growth in cloudy water and algae. I need help.
a389db33d193133324d317e788892e24.jpg
4c8de64934c3fa99f89e024c17046a48.jpg
f59aa4b519cb7616f1eb226eba0bc8e8.jpg

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Anyone with eyes out tonight?
What are your parameters?

Owen88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Gypsy13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds good. Off topic but what substrate are you using?

Hunter1 check out these plants? I wand dwarf sag too.

Owen88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gypsy13 said:
Sounds good. Off topic but what substrate are you using?

Hunter1 check out these plants? I wand dwarf sag too.
I don’t know. It was one that said it had some nutrients and it was a good price. I think it was super Naturals by Carib sea. It was like eco complete with no liquid

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
While I use flourish Excel and my plants love it, there are several plants that it kills. vals, sag and moss ball are some. I have heard that you can slowly acclimate the vals and sag but I do not know the procedure.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Owen88 said:
Ram, Cories, 11 glolights.
A 0 N0 N5 gh about 5 I think temp 25.5
What figures are these exact?
The swords isn't 100% happy as well.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He may have a nitrogen deficiency. Although Flourish does have a decent amount of N, (about 3.00% with his double dosing weekly) it may still not be sufficient) And may need more of that, and/or root tabs as well. A. Swords are notorious root tab and substate pigs, so also keep that in mind. On my 55, I use API root tabs and Flourish tabs (macro and micro) and bury those in the substrate twice per month now...especially by the 6 A. swords. Oh, and are you using any methods to circulate/agitate the water at all? They also may be deprived of CO2/oxygen...

Owen88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SFGiantsGuy said:
He may have a nitrogen deficiency. Although Flourish does have a decent amount of N, (about 3.00% with his double dosing weekly) it may still not be sufficient) And may need more of that, and/or root tabs as well. A. Swords are notorious root tab and substate pigs, so also keep that in mind. On my 55, I use API root tabs and Flourish tabs (macro and micro) and bury those in the substrate twice per month now...especially by the 6 A. swords. Oh, and are you using any methods to circulate/agitate the water at all? They also may be deprived of CO2/oxygen...
The only one I’m not 100% positive on is the GH the API gh and kh test is weird. Yes I have a bubbler for extra oxygen

Owen88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thunder_o_b said:
While I use flourish Excel and my plants love it, there are several plants that it kills. vals, sag and moss ball are some. I have heard that you can slowly acclimate the vals and sag but I do not know the procedure.
So the stuff I bought to help my plants is probably killing them

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yup. you could start using osmocote root tabs? I use them and they made my plants grow better and quicker, if that will help

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Owen88 said:
So the stuff I bought to help my plants is probably killing them
Yeah, I love SeaChem products, but it would be nice if they put a warning on Excel.

Ryan P

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have dwarf sag on my tank, I don't think it's the excel though. I had to overdose my tank with excel and even spot treat on the dwarf sag because of BBA issue and they seem to don't mind the extra excel

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do keep in mind that Excel IS essentially an algaecide, and directly hinders algae growth so plants can adjust and "catch up". Some seasoned tanks like it, and become accustomed to it...and in some other seasoned, low tech. tanks can get "shocked" by it, so keep that in mind as well.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SFGiantsGuy said:
Do keep in mind that Excel IS essentially an algaecide,
This is not accurate. Excel does hinder algae but it is far from its primary function. Please read this.
Seachem - Flourish Excel

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It still IS an algaecide though. And does other things too heh Use gloves when handling this stuff too!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SFGiantsGuy said:
It still IS an algaecide though. And does other things too heh Use gloves when handling this stuff too!
Yeah, you would not want to bath in it

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOL!!!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If you have the dwarf sag in plain sand, that is why it is dying. Dwarf sag is a heavy root feeder that needs a nutrient-rich substrate to thrive. If you're not using root tabs, I suggest getting some and placing them at the base of the plants.

The cloudy water may be an algae bloom from dosing twice a week. From the pictures I see, none of your plants are water column feeders. Do a water change, get some root tabs, and limit your lights to 6-7 hours per day.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom