Dwarf Sag Not Doing Well - I Need Help!! Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Owen88, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Owen88

Owen88Valued MemberMember

So I planted some dwarf sag three weeks ago and it was doing fine but over the past week it has started to quickly die. I am using a plant plus on max from 7 am to 6 pm where I turn it to night mode till 9 then off. I am also dosing excel flourish Twitter ce per week. I am also noticing a recent sudden growth in cloudy water and algae. I need help. a389db33d193133324d317e788892e24.jpg4c8de64934c3fa99f89e024c17046a48.jpgf59aa4b519cb7616f1eb226eba0bc8e8.jpg

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Anyone with eyes out tonight?
    What are your parameters?

3. OP
    OP
    Owen88

Ram, Cories, 11 glolights.
    A 0 N0 N5 gh about 5 I think temp 25.5

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

5. OP
    OP
    Owen88

I don’t know. It was one that said it had some nutrients and it was a good price. I think it was super Naturals by Carib sea. It was like eco complete with no liquid

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

While I use flourish Excel and my plants love it, there are several plants that it kills. vals, sag and moss ball are some. I have heard that you can slowly acclimate the vals and sag but I do not know the procedure.

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

What figures are these exact?
    The swords isn't 100% happy as well.

8. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

He may have a nitrogen deficiency. Although Flourish does have a decent amount of N, (about 3.00% with his double dosing weekly) it may still not be sufficient) And may need more of that, and/or root tabs as well. A. Swords are notorious root tab and substate pigs, so also keep that in mind. On my 55, I use API root tabs and Flourish tabs (macro and micro) and bury those in the substrate twice per month now...especially by the 6 A. swords. Oh, and are you using any methods to circulate/agitate the water at all? They also may be deprived of CO2/oxygen...

9. OP
    OP
    Owen88

The only one I’m not 100% positive on is the GH the API gh and kh test is weird. Yes I have a bubbler for extra oxygen

10. OP
    OP
    Owen88

So the stuff I bought to help my plants is probably killing them

11. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

yup. you could start using osmocote root tabs? I use them and they made my plants grow better and quicker, if that will help

12. Thunder_o_b

Yeah, I love SeaChem products, but it would be nice if they put a warning on Excel.

13. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

I have dwarf sag on my tank, I don't think it's the excel though. I had to overdose my tank with excel and even spot treat on the dwarf sag because of BBA issue and they seem to don't mind the extra excel

14. SFGiantsGuy

Do keep in mind that Excel IS essentially an algaecide, and directly hinders algae growth so plants can adjust and "catch up". Some seasoned tanks like it, and become accustomed to it...and in some other seasoned, low tech. tanks can get "shocked" by it, so keep that in mind as well.

15. Thunder_o_b

This is not accurate. Excel does hinder algae but it is far from its primary function. Please read this.

16. SFGiantsGuy

It still IS an algaecide though. And does other things too heh Use gloves when handling this stuff too!

17. Thunder_o_b

Yeah, you would not want to bath in it :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  18. SFGiantsGuy

LOL!!!

19. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

If you have the dwarf sag in plain sand, that is why it is dying. Dwarf sag is a heavy root feeder that needs a nutrient-rich substrate to thrive. If you're not using root tabs, I suggest getting some and placing them at the base of the plants.

The cloudy water may be an algae bloom from dosing twice a week. From the pictures I see, none of your plants are water column feeders. Do a water change, get some root tabs, and limit your lights to 6-7 hours per day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice