Dwarf Puffers

1. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Right I am so excited I am close to exploding!

Because I have been in and out of hospital the past 3 weeks with a rupture cyst my boyfriend has said he is going to buy me the 16 compartment betta barracks that my lfs told me about 2 weeks ago. I cant get that tank out of my head!! and I am SO excited about it!!

Now this leaves my 20g tank free so I was thinking of dwarf puffers, I have an outbreak of snails in the tank at the moment so I am considering feeding them to get the population up ready for the puffers.

How many puffers can I fit in the tank? it has plants in it at the moment but I will be adding more to cut down on aggression. I also know I need 1m to 3-4f ratio to cut agression further. What is the best way of sexing them?

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Diggly. So sorry to hear that you've been ill. I'll let others with Puffer experience answer your questions. Here are a couple of links you may find helpful if you haven't already seen them:
    Guide to Puffer Care
    Spotted Puffer - Tetraodon nigroviridis
    Best wishes and GET WELL! :) I'll be looking forward to your updates on your new set ups! It sounds wonderful!
    Ken

3. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Hmm for those of you who do own puffers I have an additional question, when selecting my puffers, if the pet shop worker does pull them out of the water with the net should I tell them the proper way to take them out and ask them to put the fish back? I have plastic containers here which I use to take my fish out of the bags and into tanks I believe it lowers stress of all my fish so I already use this method at home. Just a bit worried the lfs might kill off or injure the puffer in this way.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Morning Digglly. I know this much, you don't want the puffer exposed to air at all. If the fish "puffs" it can be fatal. Have them to use the critter keeper to capture the fish and not a net.
    Ken

5. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Thats what I thought, and going by the guide I should go for 4 (5g per puffer) and I will get a few more caves etc too. The tank has been set up for about 5 months so that should be established enough for the puffers I hope. Just need a guide to sex them now so I can go for the 1m to 3f ratio which will hopefully cut down agression :).