Dwarf puffers

1. Wiggie Initiate Member

I have a large tank over 40 gallon.fell in love with dwarf puffers and purchased 7 of the little fish..after just a couple of days 5 have suddenly vanished leaving only 2.. Have fed on blood worms..only other tank mate is a small bristle nose cat fish.. All 7 were there this morning until I returned from work in the evening.. I have checked my filter and none have been sucked inside...Help!!!!!

2. Wiggie Initiate Member

Just to say it is a long established tank so no problem with cycling etc

3. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Hi Wiggie, just wanted to Welcome you to the forum, i have no experience with Puffers so i will alow others to try to help you with your problem. you already check your filter and that would have been my first suggestion.
    someone should be along before to long.

4. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Just a thought, you said you checked your filter, did you also check the intake tube to your filter??

5. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore! Hope you find the site as enjoyable and informative as I have over the past year. Lots of good fish-keepers here willing to help you out all you have to do is ask. Advice is free, patience a virtue and having fun while learning mandatory. You will soon learn that your “spell checker” doesn’t know fish and our chemistry class is easy and the only testing is done by you.

Is there any way they could of jumped out some how? Under something or in something?

6. Wiggie Initiate Member

Yes checked everything.. Just can't understand where they have gone:-(

7. Wiggie Initiate Member

Couldn't jump out either tank is covered its as if they just vanished and it's found my head in!!

8. Wiggie Initiate Member

Sorry doing my head in..fish can't just dissapear right??know they can't get along with others so decided on a specimen tank...could they have been eaten? A couple of the puffers were slightly larger??

9. Disc61 Well Known Member Member

Well, as i said earlier i have never kept these fish but i have done a little research and i see that these are a semi aggressive fish and either get eaten by anything bigger or they nip and pesture anything smaller.
    not sure how the bigger ones would act with their own kind, but it has certainly happened with other species of fish so that could definitely be a possibility. your Bristlenose may also be feasting on them.
    i did read where they require more hiding places than how many fish you have in the tank. hiding places normally means for areas for them to run and get away from their agressor, so if you don't have no hiding places
    my bet is they have been dinner for the pleco or the bigger puffers. you say you have 2 left, are they 2 of the bigger ones?

10. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I do believe that plecos will eat deceased fish, so it is a possibility that they died and were eaten (I'm not sure how big your pleco is).

When you say your water is good, do you have a test kit? What are your parameters? I had a tank that was set up for awhile, long enough that I thought it was surely cycled, but when I bought a test kit (the liquid kind, strips are inaccurate) I found out that it wasn't actually cycled.