Dwarf Puffers Nano Build

dwarfpufferlover
Hello everyone; this is a thread about my 9 gallon nano flex build I received for my birthday this week....
I decided to start a thread about the journey since I have not done so in the past before and want to give it a try if anybody was interested...

It is white, I haven't seen a planted white version online so I thought I'd try.

IMG_0078.JPG
Tank Specs: 9 gallons/34Liters 14L x 13W x 13H

Using stock lighting, suppose to be good for low-mid plants. Claims to be 7500K spectrum. Will use filter it comes with and ordering a fluval heater of some sort.

Substrate: My local fish store had a display and they used this stuff, I thought it looked cleaner than Stratum and claimed to do the same things so I picked it up, although was quite a bit more expensive, going to give it a shot

IMG_0079.JPG

Possible Stocking
I was thinking of doing cherry shrimp or possibly some form of small micro shrimp, Suggestions on anything are appreciated and part of why I like to share.

Plant/hard scape stocking

x 2-3 Bundles of java moss

x 2-3 anubuis have several varieties

x 2 moss balls

x 1 Large piece of dragon stone -- I am ripping up the moss balls and glueing them to the rock as well as using it to block some flow.

IMG_0081.JPG

always open to more as this list isn't complete

I like nano fish as well, expect I'm finding the smaller ones prefer schools or they have to be kept alone due to aggression. Trying to keep this tank enjoyable rather than time consuming as I have been feeling with my others as of late.

Suggestions? If you got down this far thank you for reading. I hope my pictures posted if not I shall edit this post and try again! Hopefully will get my supplies to build the stand and finish it today to be able to set it up, I really hate waiting

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 76
WTFish?
That’s a very pretty tank! I think shrimp would be nice. I have a 5 gallon with red cherries and 4 ember tetras. It’s very peaceful and the shrimp population is booming. I wanted 2-3 scarlet badis but that didn’t happen, those are neat looking nano fish, but they will help cull your shrimp, my embers do not. I like what you’re doing with the moss and rock...can’t wait to see updates.

bgclarke
Following.

I bought a Flex 9 at Christmas, but really haven't figured out what I want to do with it yet.

dwarfpufferlover
Thanks everyone

Following.

I bought a Flex 9 at Christmas, but really haven't figured out what I want to do with it yet.

My vote is for a planted tank!

Working on my stand right now, always a nightmare making everything flat! Will have update tomorrow.

dwarfpufferlover
UPDATE 03/07/18

I built the stand last night and tried configuring it around my small 700ft apartment and 3 other tanks.....not really finding a low traffic place I like so it looks like I may add on a piece of plywood to the bottom and put the 5 gallon there to open up a spot.

Here are some pics.

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG ( cat butt)

bgclarke
I like the stand, nice and sturdy.

dwarfpufferlover
Update 03/11/18

Got the dragon stone cleaned last week and got the substrate in.
Currently researching my RO options as I no longer want to use my hard tap water
Here are some pics

IMG_2735.jpeg

IMG_2737 4.jpeg

IMG_2731 2.jpeg

dwarfpufferlover

7C727FDD-6115-4231-B914-D13866A3BE07.jpeg

85D40F15-DBCD-48D6-8BBA-53333AA3F606.jpeg

3/13/18

Messing around with some plants since I got a heater yesterday, trying to get this dragon stone from falling over..

Rojer Ramjet
Really well built stand; are you in the Trades?

dwarfpufferlover
Really well built stand; are you in the Trades?

Thanks and no, I build all of my stands after having bad experiences with store bought. So I decided to look online and figured out how easy it was.

Rojer Ramjet
You may wish to consider changing professions; the building trades part exceptionally well if you're the type that pays attention to detail; as an electrician, I make well over $100k, and then I went to commercial diving school, where I do underwater construction, demolition, salvage, search and recovery (including bodies) - that triples my wage; I'm a college dropout... Lol

dwarfpufferlover
You may wish to consider changing professions; the building trades part exceptionally well if you're the type that pays attention to detail; as an electrician, I make well over $100k, and then I went to commercial diving school, where I do underwater construction, demolition, salvage, search and recovery (including bodies) - that triples my wage; I'm a college dropout... Lol

I am going back next fall. I don’t mind school as long as it’s interesting. I just don’t trust somebody else making my stand using press board.

Update whatever the date is

Here is my terrible picture of my package from brs.

3AA11CE1-D7AB-4666-986D-224BBC3CDEF1.jpeg

Going to Home Depot to get my trash can, and still need a ton of supplies . Thanks to the fellow fishlorain On here. Hopefully can get some RO going in the next few days so I can get some shrimp.

Haven’t tested tank but almost positive it’s cycled. Will test after I replace tap with RO

Rojer Ramjet
Nice setup! I personally run the BRS Water Saver Plus 150gpd unit; meets my needs quite well. I've had this one for 16 months - TDS on the RO side is currently 2, TDS on the DI side is 0.

Will change out membranesb and resin in 2020, at this rate.

And I make a LOT of water (12 aquariums from 45 - 380 gallons).

You picked a good unit.

Attachments

• tmp-cam-1585410763.jpg
    tmp-cam-1585410763.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 86
dwarfpufferlover
Nice setup! I personally run the BRS Water Saver Plus 150gpd unit; meets my needs quite well. I've had this one for 16 months - TDS on the RO side is currently 2, TDS on the DI side is 0.

Will change out membranesb and resin in 2020, at this rate.

And I make a LOT of water (12 aquariums from 45 - 380 gallons).

You picked a good unit.

I also heard the customer service is great and if a part breaks they overnight replace so that contributed. Plus it seems everyone has one.

Whats the average pressure someone might get out of the kitchen tap? My pressure is above average I would say... would the garden hose work better?..I don't want to have to pay for a booster pump right away its ridiculous how much they want.

Right now all I can do is plug and play until I get more space, all I need is 20-25 gallons a week or so.
I only have about 30 gallons of water in total in my tanks, I am wondering If I can cut the number of gallons I need in a week.
I think I might mix tap in one of my tanks as the plants and livestock are hard water. I hate the idea of the faucet running for 6-7 hours..

Rojer Ramjet
60 psI makes pure - ABSOLUTELY PURE - water at 1.25 to 1 (1.25 gallons rejected by the membranes to 1 gallon passed through) with my city water, which is so clean that nobody but reefers (and then only a handful, most don't) use RODI; 0 chlorine\chloramine, TDS of 24, gh 2, kh5.

With lower pressure, say 30, I experienced a rejection rate of 3 to 1 - with the little that you're making, at 30psi, I'd expect to make 5 gallons in about 75 minutes, or, 1 gallon every 15 minutes.

It should have come with a faucet adapter - it's actually a quality valve - is use that to supply it; put your water container and rejection line in the tub or shower, so if you forget to turn it off, you don't flood your house.

I use a timer on my hose bib.

Attachments

• tmp-cam-127407174.jpg
    tmp-cam-127407174.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 71
Rojer Ramjet
As to your question "what pressure is average," there's no standard. Mine came at 30, so I went outside and adjusted the regulator to 60 psi.

75 is considered "household maximum," or so I'm told by my plumbing subcontractors, but I've never seen that available outside of private well owners, or with those who didn't put flow restrictors on their homes when connecting to City water after having been on a private well.

Long answer short, there's no average nor standard.

dwarfpufferlover
As to your question "what pressure is average," there's no standard. Mine came at 30, so I went outside and adjusted the regulator to 60 psi.

Long answer short, there's no average nor standard.

Well, it shall be interesting using the faucet, it is my only option.
I guess I will just sit and wait all day until I have 20 gallons... I don’t think I would feel comfortable leaving it unattended in an apartment. I’m not sure what to do yet. I have tons of things to do than wait on water ya know?

dwarfpufferlover
Thought I'd put on update on here as of tonight 4/6

I just got my cholla wood to sink finally, I will have cherry shrimp in the next coming weeks, I threw in some nerites though.

IMG_2993.jpeg

IMG_2995.jpeg

IMG_2997.jpeg

dwarfpufferlover
Some updated pics

30739435_365955160588799_4668778439030747665_n.jpg

IMG_3148.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3103.jpeg
    IMG_3103.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 72
dwarfpufferlover