Dwarf puffers in 18 gallon high, plant suggestion

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Florian Pellet, Jun 28, 2016.

1. F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

Hey everyone,

So I live in a small apartment. I already have a 30 gallon tank in my bedroom. The only other tank I could cram into my space would have to have a footprint of about 40x30cm / 16x12in, but it could be quite high without a problem. So here's my plan.

Tank and equipment:
    67L: 40cm long, 30cm deep, 55cm high / 18gal: 16in long, 12in deep, 22in high
    Eheim classic 2211 canister filter w/ inline heater inside the DIY stand

Stock:
    3 dwarf puffers (male 1:2 ratio)
    some red cherry shrimps (from my other tank's exploding population)

Because the tank will be so high, I would like to create multiple "floors" with low light plants at the very bottom, and some driftwood suction cupped to the back of the tank to create a second and third floor respectively at 1/3rd (and on the left) and 2/3rd (and on the right) of the tank's height. These driftwood would be home to epiphytes.
    Question: which plants would you recommend for both the low light bottom and the elevated driftwood?

A second problem coming from the height of such a tank would be the cycling of water. I read that dwarf puffers don't like high currents. But I would like to be able to have water flowing through the whole tank so as to avoid dead spots. Maybe I could just have my filter intake very close to the bottom (but that sounds annoying because if I have shrimps I need a pre-filter sponge, which needs regular cleaning but would be all the way down).
    Question: how do you recommend I deal with water flow in this setup?

Can you foresee anything else being a problem with this setup?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What about putting the output lower in the tank? That would help move the water in the bottom of the tank upwards.

For the plants, What about Anubias on the driftwood? For the bottom, you could do crypts in front and vals in the back.

3. OP
    OP
    F

Florian Pellet Well Known Member Member

I guess then I wouldn't have the sponge problem. But I was kind of planning on using a Poppy pipe (sort of a low current Lily pipe) so as to provide the quietest water possible for the Dwarf Puffers. How could I baffle the flow then?

Would these be plants that the Dwarf Puffers will like? Or are you just proposing plants you personally like (which is fine too, just trying to get all the info)?

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think you'd need to. Mine did fine in the outflow of my HOB. As long as it's not too crazy, it should be fine. You want some flow to circulate the water and move waste.

Having a heavily planted tank will also help reduce the current and keep the puffers occupied.

I like those plants and I kept them in my puffer tanks. I don't think they necessarily prefer certain plants over others; the important thing is to heavily plant the tank to give them lots of places to explore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice