Dwarf Puffers Have Been Acting Strange Help

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by shann.n, Apr 22, 2018.

1. shann.nNew MemberMember

I got two dwarf puffers about three months ago, and have been successfully keeping them in a 10gal community tank. My tank is heavily planted, and up until the past few days, the puffers stayed away from one another. If one ever got too close to the other, they would get defensive and attempt to chase the other away. But over the past few days I've noticed that they are almost always right next to one another, and acting super comfortable with that. I've had a hard time sexing them, so I'm not sure if maybe they're in the process of mating? They have also started to seem a little skiddish. Usually when I go up to the tank they’re right there looking at me, but now they seem kind of scared when I’m nearby.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. puffer boi

puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

pea puffers dont do well with other fish which is why it died. don’t get any other fish for this tank.

3. OP
    OP
    s

shann.nNew MemberMember

I’ve actually had success so far keeping them with other fish. Before getting the puffers, I did my research. It seems that stories go both ways, people are successful keeping them in community tanks and others not so much.
    I added the ghost shrimp knowing that they may become snacks for the puffers. That’s not at al what I’m worried about here. I only added that in for info. because they only started going after the shrimp when these other strange behaviors started.

4. puffer boi

puffer boiWell Known MemberMember

what do you mean by ghost fish?
    please don’t tell me you mean Black ghost knifefish

to be honest its pretty normal for pea puffers to kill other fish...
    doesn’t sound to strange to me imo.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  5. Rtessy

RtessyFishlore VIPMember

6. OP
    OP
    s

shann.nNew MemberMember

Oops! Sorry I meant ghost shrimp****

7. OP
    OP
    s

shann.nNew MemberMember

Ok I understand that it’s pretty normal for them to kill shrimp and other fish. I more so am just unsure about all of the other behaviors.

8. Miaw

MiawValued MemberMember

Sounds weird. Mine have their areas, but they occasionally swim around in a line like a naughty gang, looking menacing but not actually doing anything. Imo 1/3 puffers has a nippy personality and should be sent back to the LFS for some unsuspecting keeper to purchase.

They might be thinking about mating.

You should be able to sex them easily now. A male will have shiny lines near its eyes, and develop a dark line going through its belly. It'll also likely have yellow colouring on its belly when a female's will tend to stay quite white.

The shiny lines behind a male's eyes are how you can sex them when they're still quite young and small in LFS. I bought a load and every 1 with shiny green wrinkles developed all the other male features too. The ones without the shiny wrinkles did not develop the male features. I think the females tended to go a bit more spotty too.

Also with males another characteristic is the black blotches seem to spread out a bit more, and the one near the tail connects to the one that turns into a line through the tail.

Ignore all that extra info though and just look at the eye wrinkles, and underbelly :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice