Dwarf Puffer Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by DK42875, Apr 8, 2017.

1. D

DK42875 Valued Member Member

I am planning to have a 5 gallon dwarf puffer tank soon, just need to figure some stuff out first. The tank is going to house 1 DP and maybe some shrimp (I've heard some people have had success with this, any experiences with the DP shrimp combo would be great to hear). I think the hardest part about keeping the DP is going to be the diet, so I was wondering what I could feed him. I was thinking I could toss some MTS in there and wait for them to multiply, and have BBS, freeze-dried food, and baby shrimp for food. My main concern is that the MTS will either multiply past what a single puffer can eat and he'll die of overfeeding, or he'll destroy the population and I'll have rotting snails scattered throughout my tank (causing an ammonia spike). Any advice on this? Also I don't know if it matters for DPs but do they like more horizontal or vertical swimming room? I think that's it for now but I'll undoubtedly have more questions later.

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    Dwarf Puffers as stated in their name don't grow to big Therefore, a 5 gallon should be good for a single specimen.
    They do best in species only tanks.

If you ask me, I would only house the one DP in the 5 gallon. When the Dwarf Puffer matures, it will harass the fish and slowly kill it.

Dwarf Puffers do need Snails in their diet but they do enjoy the occasional blood worm and sometimes they also do accept flake food.

3. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

I think all fish like horizontal swimming more than vertical swimming but I may be wrong.
    I would suggest getting an snail farm instead, just grab a plastic tub or something, put on a sponge filter (not necessary if you do frequent water changes in my opinion) and give them food. I dont know about MTS but pond snails will breed like crazy if they get a hold on something like lettuce or a carrot. With the snail farm you can just throw 1 snail into the tank at a time which I dont think would be enough to cause an ammonia spike if he is not completely eaten by the puffer.

4. Ed204

Most snails will reproduce rapidly if they have food, not only pond snails.
    Malaysian Trumpet Snails, Pond Snails, Ram Horn Snails you name it they'll reproduce just as fast.

3-4 snails per feeding should be fine. If you only add 1 per feeding that wouldn't be enough to catch up with the production rate hence, over crowing your factory.
    Just remember to scoop out any un eaten snail corpses after feeding

5. BeanFish

I would expect MTS to also reproduce quite easily, but I just have had experience with those pond snails :)mad:) so I was not sure.
    I dont know about dwarf puffers that much, maybe 1 snail is not enough food so 2-3 makes sense. I would not be worried about being overrun with snails in the farm tho, you can just throw them away to the yard. Sounds pretty mean but those are things you just have to do :(

6. Ed204

Okay, that's exactly what I said lol.

7. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks for the replies! I'll go with Ed's suggestion and have a MTS snail farm. Btw, I know the DP will kill any fish I house in the 5 gallon with him when he matures, I was asking about shrimp as a suitable tank mate (with the babies as a food source). The only reason I'm asking is because I've heard of it working before. Also do you know the suitable tank parameters for DPs?

8. OP
    OP
    D

Also can I house the MTS in a jar instead of a separate tank? It probably would be a gallon or maybe a little smaller, with some live plants. It obviously wouldn't have a filter or heater, so could this set up he maintained with regular water changes?

9. BeanFish

I would suggest something bigger than a 1 gal jar, and if you can, make it wider than taller.
    I kept pond snails in a yogurt 1lt thing for over 4 days without water changes outside in my yard in winter, none of them died, so yeah, if you do water changes they will be fine.
    Shrimps can work as long as you let them establish a population first and make sure they are heavily planted, just dont rely on the puffer eating babys to get his nutrition tho.

10. OP
    OP
    D

Ok, thanks for the reply! Any idea how well these guys take to freeze dried bloodworms? I've heard they're quite picky and will only take frozen or live, is this true?

11. BeanFish

Mmm, they have this steorotype of only eating snails and being picky eaters overall but I think you can ultimately make them eat freeze dried bloodworms, maybe you can try soaking them on garlic juice so it is tastier for the fish.

12. OP
    OP
    D

Also I'm looking into getting thai micro crabs as tank mates for the dwarf puffer. They seem really small and clear so I don't think the DP will be able to bother them much. Could this combo work? I can't seem to find much info on the thai micro crab DP combo.

13. BeanFish

Mmm, I am not sure, I have this feeling that the DP will eat it. Almsot all fish will eat small crustaceans and he is one...

14. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks! Anyone else willing to share their opinions?

15. Hilo Bay

Hilo Bay Valued Member Member

My dwarf puffer hates freeze dried bloodworms and only eats snails. Still working on other foods, but so far only snails.

He/she killed his ghost shrimp tank mates, so I would be hesitant to pay more for other types of shrimp.

My 30 gallon is full of ramshorn and pond snails so I just use that as my snail farm. I originally tried to establish a huge population in my 10 gallon and did, but once I introduced the puffer he/she ate them all in about a week.

As for swimming space he/she just kind of flutters from one bunch of plants to the next. So I don't think you will need to worry about horizontal or vertical swimming room, like you would for a more active schooling fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice