Dwarf Puffer Tank Journal

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by DK42875, Apr 18, 2017.

1. DK42875Valued MemberMember

As evident by the title, I'm making a 5 gallon dwarf puffer tank journal. This is a lot of firsts for me (first time using spider wood, first time using sand in an aquarium, first time keeping a puffer etc) so I'll probably have to ask a bunch of questions on this tank journal. I've set up the hardscape and plan to do an instant cycle with mature filter media. I plan to order my plants and puffer soon so any plant ideas that would be good with the puffer would be welcome. Any comments and criticism on the hardscape would be helpful as well. I've tried to do a bunch of research on tank mates for the DP in a tank this size and came up with nothing. I have a bunch of RCS so I could toss some in and pray but I was thinking thai micro crabs would be more suitable since they're so small and hard to see, especially on a sand substrate. I also heard freshwater bumblebee gobies may work. I'll attach a pic of the tank down below.

Attached Files:

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

I don't have an answer on what WOULD work with the puffers but I can tell you that the micro crabs are only going to be good tank mates until the DP find them and eat them. Good luck with everything!

3. OP
    OP
    D

DK42875Valued MemberMember

Ok thanks for your response! Anyone else?

4. PatrickShrimp

PatrickShrimpValued MemberMember

Dwarf puffers are a species only at best so... not much else will fit.

5. VioletSS

VioletSSValued MemberMember

I'm no expert, but I thought I read that puffers need about 5 gallons each, and lots of hiding spots. Glad to hear you're getting plants. I'm excited for you - I'd like to get a little puffer myself someday. :)

6. OP
    OP
    D

Yeah, I've read that they need 5 gallons each as well but I guess I'm not being realistic wanting a tank mate in an aquarium this size.

7. OP
    OP
    D

Just bought a bunch of freeze dried food for him (there isn't any frozen food available in my area). I've read that some puffers only take frozen and live foods so crossing my fingers mine will take freeze dried!

8. OP
    OP
    D

Hey quick update, I went ahead and planted the tank with some staurogyne repens and spiral Val (forgot what the actual name was). Doesn't look too great so I think I'll post a separate thread just for the aquascape. I'll try to post an updated pic as soon as possible!

9. OP
    OP
    D

Here's a pic as promised :)

Attached Files:

10. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

Congrats on joining the puffer club! You'll have another species before the years out. Two things:

1) the food - where are you getting the freeze dried? Most places usually have a fridge with something frozen. I'm curious if the freeze dried will work. You could also check the tanks in any LFS to see if they have pond/bladder snails in them. Most places don't like them and will give them to you for free. You could even setup a small enough container and breed them. They're like rabbits, just lower maintenance. You could even look to see if there is a aquarium club anywhere in your area. You'd probably be surprised. And most members love to help each other out.

2) tank mates - tough one, especially since every puffer is different, even within the same species. I usually recommend trying a ghost shrimp first. If it gets eaten, your puffer had an amazing meal, if not, judge any aggression from there. However, with a 5G, you are very limited. If you could up it to say a 10G, it at least gives you a couple options. You could put in a small horned nerite. Yes, I know a snail doesn't sound right in a puffer tank, but nerites barely stick their tentacles and body out like other snails. IME, they worked in all but my larger puffer's tank. Plus they are great help with cleaning.

11. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

very pretty! nice job :)

12. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks for your reply! I'm actually saving the 10 gallon for some multifasciatus.. funny since you're apparently a new lover of lake tanganyika lol. I'm planning to breed some bladder snails in a separate .5 gallon bowl. It's really confusing because some people think bladder/pond snails are better for DP food and some think MTS. No idea which one is better so any insight on that would be nice! I'll try the ghost shrimp thanks!

13. OP
    OP
    D

Thanks for the complement meyowmeow! I think it looks horrible though lol.

14. MJDuti

MJDutiWell Known MemberMember

Both snails are fine, just depends on what the puffer will eat. MTS will most likely breed quicker, but you'll see more bladder snails out during the day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice