How many?

1. 1

2. 2

3. 2 but the tank must be a jungle

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

Hello!

I thought I had my stocking for my 5g all planned out but then the guy at the lfs threw a spanner in the works.. (bearing in mind everybody at this lfs are hobbyists or professionals)

Can I keep two dwarf puffers in a 5g?

I know that at young ages they like to band together for safety and all the ones they are selling are quite young. And they get agressive and territorial as they grow up.

If they grew up together, would they still be aggressive?

How much plant and rock coverage would I need to ensure they had enough hiding spaces?

If one grew up by themselves, would they be lonely?

Thanks in advance :D I really need all the information I can get!

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Go check out aquapros dwarf puffer aquarium on YouTube. He's got quite a few in a tank that's not even that heavily planted, albeit bigger than a 5g. I reckon you can get away with two :)

3. KaitlynR

KaitlynR Well Known Member Member

I would recommend only keeping 1 in a 5 gallon tank as they need to be able to have their own territory without feeling cramped in their space. They are small but they use a lot of space! I know in a 10 gallon you can have a max of 2, MAYBE 3, so that's why I suggest only 1 in a 5 gallon :)

4. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

One per 5g is recommended. I keep 1 puffer.

5. OP
    OP
    Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

You see I originally thought one puffer but then fish keeper dude showed me a reputable source which said one puffer per 2-3 gallons, and that puffers when they are young get lonely.. which went against everything I have known so far and so I came to ask you guys :)