Dwarf Puffer Sex Change

1. BodaciousBetta Initiate Member

So I have had 2 dwarf puffers in a 55 gallon very heavily planted aquarium. They were both barely bigger than fry and one assumed the male sex. The one that ended up being female now seems to be morphing into a male. I have had these guys for about 6 or 8 weeks now. I have done hours and hours and hours of research. Is it possible for my puff to change into a male? Does the tank size/visibility/plants etc play a factor at all in this? She has had the appearance of a female this whole time, but recently started changing after more wood and plants were added about a week ago.

2. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Some fish are late to show male sex characteristics so i would guess he has alwaus been a he but only just hit fish puberty.

3. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

That sounds possible. That a second puffer could also morph male. I think tank size can play a role, because the first male puffer releases a hormone to inhibit other juvenile puffers from becoming male. In a big tank, those hormones could conceivably get quite diluted. But I'm no expert and have never even kept pea puffers. Maybe someone else will chime in?

4. BodaciousBetta Initiate Member

Thank you so much for responding! I also over filter the tank and they have the whole tank to themselves....aside from the occasional snail that survives them. Guess I'll need to be investing in some ladies soon. I also feel like the dynamic of their relationship and the nature of the male puffers pursuits have shifted. I guess time will tell.