Dwarf puffer. I never regret buying this cute fish

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yesterday, i brought a puffer for 1.30 and it so cute. Just now i went to buy some bread worm and feed it. When he eating the food he look suspicion like hunting down criminal in C.S.I-
I am gonna buy somemore later . As it look boring having only 1

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Which tank is he in? Is the tank big enough for 2?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm sorry, I believe that any tank under 15 gallons won't hold two dwarf puffers. They'll tear each other to shreds.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
+1 elodea

What size tank is he in? Does he have any other tankmates?

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i have a heavy planted and they are very shy.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Give them time, once they get settled into their new home they will get aggressive. Hopefully they will ignore each other but every time I've kept more than one at a time, one ends up being a bully.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Here is a link on Puffers that you may find helpful:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/general-guide-to-puffer-care.33066/
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/mar09/dwarfpuffer.htm

Too, if you would be so kind as to update your Aquarium Profile Information it will be a great help to others with their responses. You can access the profile by clicking on MY SETTINGS in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on EDIT AQUARIUM INFORMATION.

Thanks and best of luck with your new fish Don't forget, we love photos!

Ken

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
oh no... I told my friend i like puffer and he gave me another 2.... What am i going to do.... But i think they stay away from each other . Each one corner. The tank is so crystal clear... I think my puffers are great . I am taking some photo,.. But i need to remove the plants,as i need to catch a shrimp that had fallen in... While transporting... I will post some photo.
Good night-asia
Good morning-usa

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How large of a tank are these dwarf putters in? If I count correctly you are up to 4 now? You need atleast 20 gallons but 25-30 would be better. If it is less than 20 you are almost for sure going to end up with at least one dead puffer, if not more.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
+1 Monmouth.

Personally, I'd like to go with 7-10 gallons per puffer in a heavily planted tank under 20 gallons, and 5-7 gallons per puffer in a heavily planted tank larger than 20 gallons. So 4 puffers will require a 30 gallon tank at the least.

They might seem nice and timid now, but give them time to settle down, and I will now respectfully disagree with Monmouth. You won't have at least one dead puffer, I'm thinking of two at the very least and very likely 3 dead and 1 badly injured and dying.

If you can't provide a large enough tank for them, you may have to rehome them or give them back to the pet store.

Betta/Horse lover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Listen to ever one we have all had dwarf puffers (I think.Well I have).They are a predatory and they will rip each other in pieces and other fish.+1 to ever one except chumzhujun for now.Im sorry I don't mean to be rude I'm just concerned for the cute puffers.

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
opppss.. i never follow on this post... i have already given away 3 puffer... as what you said

The fish master 123456

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CHumzhujun. i was looking at your aquarium info and i noticed your 7 gallon tank is SOOOOOOOO overstocked. The rule is one inch of fish per gallon of water. The maximum you could have in there would be 7 neon tetras. that tank is way overstocked.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The fish master 123456 said:
CHumzhujun. i was looking at your aquarium info and i noticed your 7 gallon tank is SOOOOOOOO overstocked. The rule is one inch of fish per gallon of water. The maximum you could have in there would be 7 neon tetras. that tank is way overstocked.
Hi, welcome to FL.
Neon tetras don't belong in a 7 gallon - not enough swim space. Also, the 1 inch rule is a poor one, and not really recommended. Even by the one inch rule, neons get to be about 1.5 inches, so really, about 4 is the most you could have. But, like I said, not a great fish for that size tank.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The fish master 123456 said:

This may very well be so, however, it's not the topic of the thread.

The OP was remarking how much they enjoy their Dwarf puffer.
Please stay on topic.
Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads