Dwarf puffer fighting

Discussion in 'Puffers' started by scarlett4410, Dec 29, 2012.

1. scarlett4410

scarlett4410 Valued Member Member

2 of my 6 dwarf puffers have been fighting recently. They have puffed up 2 times. There have been no serious bites so far except a bite out of a tail. Some of the baby puffers are getting quite upset by the fighting and one of the dominant puffers stop some of the others eating.
    Any ideas weather i should put the most dominant puffer in my spare 5 gallon or wait it out and see how it goes?

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear that. Do you have lots of plants and other view blockers in your tank? If not I'd add some more. You may want to try to take both of the fighting fish out for a couple hours and rearrange the tank. Then put them back in and see what happens.

3. OP
    OP
    scarlett4410

Thanks.
    Yeah its densely planted , i did try that and that made the situation worse :(
    I have re-arranged the tank a few times and its made it a bit better but not that significant.

4. kellyiswicked

kellyiswicked Valued Member Member

Disclaimer: I don't own DPs, but I plan to in the near future and have done a good bit of research about them. I wish I had a really educated response, but from what I've read DPs can just be super aggressive and this may unfortunately be nature taking its course.

I would offer to give one of your guys a new home, but I feel like mail from England to Pittsburgh might be a little pricey. I hope it solves itself somehow! I've had heartbreaks from feuding fish =(

5. RogueAgent94

How big is the tank? Can I get a picture please? If you can, of the two fighting puffs as well.

6. OP
    OP
    scarlett4410

Yeah i will try to get a picture of the tank and the 2 puffers.
    Aha i would never part with them .. there to much of my family. They were imported on a plane so i dont think they would mind the journey aha but thats postage :helpsmilie:
    Im sure you will get some soon , there amazing but hard work!
    Im worried that if i separate them then Aurora might not calm down or another may challenge him and i would have to get them all new tanks!

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

8. babypuffer

babypuffer New Member Member

I have pea puffers. Their is plenty of wrong information about them. One being they need to file their teeth. That's for their other puffer relatives.

Anyway...mine do often chase and nip a little but in all their time together not one has killed another. And no bites out of tails even.

Did you look for eggs anywhere?

You could try a little box seperater for awhile. Put the bigger one in and make sure the smaller guys eat.

I do have two that are bigger than my others and at feeding time I defrost bloodworms and suck them up in a plastic needle and inject it slowly into the tank. They come and grab one and swim away. At least I know they are all eating.

I hope I have helped even just a little.

9. OP
    OP
    scarlett4410

Ah maybe im just over reaciting , one of mine is missing a little bit of there tail tough.
    My mum said thast if they dont live together she will sell them so i have to pray they stay together.
    I feed mine through a pipet / syringe so the same as you .. its the best way !
    Thanks so much for your help! Anything i can do to prevent the fighting

10. babypuffer

Can you buy more puffers? That would definitely stop it.

11. RogueAgent94

No it wouldn't. Puffers aren't like Rift Lake cichlids. Adding more will only increase aggression not spread it around. Adding more would be a very bad idea.

12. babypuffer

I have nine together. If you only have two they can pick at each other. If you add more they get distracted. Mine are happy and peaceful. The only time they have any aggression is when they each grab an end of a blood worm. Then they each shake an end like a dog. It's cute. But they never hurt each other.

13. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Are all six puffs in the 10g planted tank innyour profile?

@baby puffer- you have 9 in a 55g according to your profile.......you have space for a herd to distract each other, plenty of space for each to pick their fav corner to defend

........if the tank in question does have 6 in only 10g of water then they may be fighting because of lack of individual territory. Dwarfs defend their corner pretty voraciously........nobody swims by my little tough pants log. Its his, and he will chase you til you admit it.

14. babypuffer

Actually my 55 has a plexy divider. They only get a third.

15. OP
    OP
    scarlett4410

There in a i think 16 gallon i think it may be bigger i was told 2 gallons per puffer :)
    Anyway all is quieter today it the fights now between Auroa and the others. At least its getting better!
    I wasn't sure if i got another female it would help because i think im already pushing it! How old are they when they have baby's? My females not coming out her little plant and chases the others away when they come near to it. Could she be having eggs? Or is to to young .. shes not that big but is 4-5 months old.

16. RogueAgent94

No, it's 5g per puffer IMO. They're pretty aggressive little things. They like their personal space lol. What are the dimensions of the tank?

17. OP
    OP
    scarlett4410

Its ->
    45 cm W x 40 cm H x 45 cm D
    There rough so the may be innacurate but hope that helps , its sand based , 3 stage & overfiltered , densly ish planted.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  18. RogueAgent94

That's about 20g. Pictures?

19. OP
    OP
    scarlett4410

MmM that seems big , im gonna go measure it.
    Im going to check the size and take some pictures , might take a few minutes tough.

20. RogueAgent94

;D No rush.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice