Dwarf Puffer Acting Strange

• Thread starter oscarlj
  • Start date

oscarlj

I got 4 dwarf puffers yesterday and acclimated them slowly by adding small amounts of water to the bag periodically. One puffer hangs out at the top with his mouth facing the surface most of the time and it seems kinda weak. Earlier on he got briefly stuck to the filter inlet but swam away pretty easily. He also sometimes goes into the lily pipe and gets spat back out again - He's done this multiple times. I saw him once go right to the bottom and sit on the substrate under a piece of wood not moving All the other puffers are acting pretty much normal (getting used to the environment though) Here are my water parameters:
Nitrate: 18
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: I don't have an ammonia test kit but I'm assuming 0 as nitrites are also and I've never seen any signs of ammonia poisoning such as red gills ect... the tank is about 1.5 years old.

GH: 8-14
KH: 8-10
pH: 6.8 - I run pressurised CO2 in the tank at relatively high levels however the puffer is not gasping as such and no other fish has ever shows signs of CO2 poisoning

I reckon he's just acting strange since they have been in the tank for about 24hrs or he is just not very well straight from the fish store. Any ideas

I forgot to add: tank is a heavily planted 30litre/8gallon with eheim ecco pro 130 (species only)

Thanks!

avaladon

I would recommend finding out your ammonia levels as soon as possible, just in case. Your PH might be a bit low. Also, I believe that 8 gallons is too small for 4 dwarf puffers. I'm no expert but that's just my 2 cents! Someone else may know a bit more!

qchris87

Well Known
Agree with avaladon that you should get an ammonia test kit. Puffers are scaleless and lack gill plates so they are more susceptible to poor water conditions. 8 gallon tank is pretty small for 4 puffers. It is usually recommended that you have 5 gallons per puffer. They can get territorial and 8 gallons just isn't big enough for all of them even if your tank is heavily planted/decorated. A twenty gallon tank would be recommended for 4 of them.

How does the stomachs look? inverted stomach most likely means they are infected with parasites.

oscarlj

avaladon said:
I would recommend finding out your ammonia levels as soon as possible, just in case. Your PH might be a bit low. Also, I believe that 8 gallons is too small for 4 dwarf puffers. I'm no expert but that's just my 2 cents! Someone else may know a bit more!
qchris87 said:
Agree with avaladon that you should get an ammonia test kit. Puffers are scaleless and lack gill plates so they are more susceptible to poor water conditions. 8 gallon tank is pretty small for 4 puffers. It is usually recommended that you have 5 gallons per puffer. They can get territorial and 8 gallons just isn't big enough for all of them even if your tank is heavily planted/decorated. A twenty gallon tank would be recommended for 4 of them.

How does the stomachs look? inverted stomach most likely means they are infected with parasites.
Two of the smaller puffers died yesterday (only 36hrs after adding them to tank). At the moment I think that they came in sick from the fish store as I got an API master test kit yesterday and ammonia reads 0, nitrite 0.
I'll go back to the shop and get 1 puffer as a replacement through their DOA policy so that it is stocked less. I definitely don't want the pair to fight to the death!
I think was mislead with the stocking in the tank unfortunately. I saw an aquascaper on youtube have 5 puffers in a tank the same size as mine and also some people recommending only 1 per 10 gallons, others saying one per 2-3 gallons and some saying one per 5 gallons. I hope 3 will be ok in there as I wouldn't want 1 to be lonely!

I appreciate the help guys!

Top Bottom