Dwarf Plecos Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by crystalclear, Mar 31, 2010.

1. c

crystalclear Valued Member Member

Hello all,

I have some algae on my glass and I've always wanted a pleco for my 20 gal. The LFS just got in butterfly plecos and clown plecos. I'm wondering what sort of experiences you all have had with either one of those. Which one do you think would work better in the setup I have?

Any comments/ suggestions are well appreciated!

Erin

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

finding out why you have algae, is better than buying a fish for it :)
    especially in a 20g...it would be easier for water parimeters to go wrong in the smaller tanks......some issues for algae can be overfeeding, overstocked, too many wattages on your light for your size tank, and a tank near a window where light comes in.....IMO a butterfly or clown might be too much for a 20g .....wait for others replies that have had them though :)

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Most plecos called Butterfly plecos are not plecos at all but Hillstream loaches. even though they stick to the glass like a pleco they aren't algae eaters.
    They look like this :   loaches
    There is a pleco that is hard to find that is also called butterfly plecos and look like this :  
    It needs wood to chew on as well as lots of algae or vegetable matter.
    clown plecos is another good small pleco that eats algae as well as vegetable matter and needs wood. Looks like this :  
    If he has real Butterfly plecos I personally would grab it because you don't see them often at all. Just make sure it's not a hillstram loach because they have special needs and won't do what you want. let us know what you decide and post pics for us :)
    carol
    Carol

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I agree that it is best to find out why you have algae in the first place rather than rely on a fish to clean it up for you. Bear in mind though that every tank will have some amount of algae in it. The best algae eater for your size tank is definitley going to be Otos. A group of four will make short work of most types of algae. Keep in mind that there are certain types of algae that no fish will eat though so no promises they will eat what you have.

5. OP
    OP
    c

crystalclear Valued Member Member

My light was made for a 20 gallon and my tank is far from being overstocked. I had the water parameters checked though, and they're perfect. My mother overfed them while I was out of the country. That probably is the cause of the algae. I've been taking care of it for 2 weeks and would like the replace the fish that died while I was away. I've always loved the look of the plecos, but know the commons get way too big for my size tank. That's why I got excited when my LFS (who are actually pretty knowledgeable, and locally owned) got in some smaller species.

Thank you Butterfly for those pictures! I'll be sure to look out. I'll also see if they have any Otos..

Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice