Dwarf/pea Puffer No Longer Eating.

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My last dwarf puffer, which I've had for two months, has stopped eating.

Up until last week he would happily hunt down bladder snails and take frozen bloodworm (thawed).

Now he'll show interest in them but won't actually eat them.
I've also tried MTS and freeze-dried Omega One bloodworm (soaked in tank water), he took one nip at the MTS and nothing more.
Also tried some vinegar eels, but I don't think he even saw those.

I've treated the tank with PraziPro before, and started another treatment last week.
Switched to Metroplex after a water change and have dosed that twice so far.

He's not showing any improvement and is looking pretty thin.
He's still swimming around some, but I've seen him laying on a sword leaf and breathing heavy, so I'm thinking he's not going to make it.

I don't want to consider euthanizing him IF there is a possibility I can get him back on the road to recovery.

Any ideas I can try to entice him to eat or other meds to try?

We can't get General Cure here.
I can order Levamisole HCL but it wouldn't arrive until later this week.

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Get the levamisole if you think he can do it, used prazi and metro with focus on my puffers with the same situation and result for a long time. I lost my puffers because they were to far gone for a 4th round of medication which would have been levamisole if it got here. I decided to let the suffering go.

If he is breathing heavy it probably won't be long in my experience especially if pale, which my male exhibited before I put him down.

You could try the levamisole and feeding baby brine as this was the only food I could get sick puffers to swallow. If their head starts becoming larger and stomachs more pinched in it is usually time.

Sometimes there is nothing we can do when we have tried or learn other methods when it is to late

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kiks said:
Have you tested your water parameters? Perhaps something's off.
Forgot to mention that in my first post: parameters are good at 0/0/5, the same as tgey were when the other puffer did the same thing about a month ago.

bgclarke

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sad update.

Little puffer dude didn't make it.

Got home from work and found he had passed away, 5 weeks to the day his tank mate had passed away.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom