Dwarf (pea) Puffer Gone Insane? Help

1. i

ikolbyi Valued Member Member

Established 55 gallon planted tank with 7 Columbian Tetras, 7 Tiger Barb's, 5 Brass/Gold Tetras, 4 Panda Garras, 5 Yoyo Loaches, 2 plecos, 1 Pea Puffer and a dwarf Petricola catfish.

I had a dwarf Orange Mexican Cray Fish but last week he mysteriously died.

Today I noticed the Pea Puffer repeatedly attacking the top fin of the Columbian Tetras, non stop. And to my surprise the Tetras didn't attack back, they only 'jumped' away (swam fast away).

This stocking config is a solid year old, why now aggression and should I remove the Puffer?

2. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Pea Puffers are not good community fish.... They are tiny tiny little sociopaths and really can only live with their own kind to the best of my knowledge.

3. OP
    OP
    i

The stocking config was just fine for 12 months, why now with no changes?

4. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Because the puffer is coming into maturity. They get meaner as they age.

5. OP
    OP
    i

If that is the case, I'm surprised such a tiny fish is not put in his place by the semi-aggressive fish in tank.

6. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

Lol. Ever see a convict in a tank with Oscars and pirhannas? They keep 2/3 of the tanks themselves and bully the rest into a tiny area. Some fish are just too ferocious.

7. OP
    OP
    i

The meanest fish that ever was in this tank was a female Kribensis. I had to remove the fish because it terrorized the entire tank (note just the one, no male). So now what, will this behavior settle down or will I have to remove the Pea Puffer?

The YoYo loaches are afraid of their own shadow and they seem to be doing okay. Both Pleco's have had their tails nipped but they fight back. The small Brass/Gold Tetras are left alone - go figure.

8. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

rehome.

9. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Get a little tank for your pea puffer to swim in alone, and place it next to the community tank, so that s/he can be entertained at a safe distance from your other fish. I've got mine in an Evolve 8 where she can watch the Endlers and lunge at them from her side of the glass. I feed her daphnia and dero worms, which she loves hunting. Pea puffers are vigorous little carnivores ;)

10. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Agreed.

if you know the gender of your pea they can be kept 1:2 male:female in a smaller tank. The more densely planted the better.

BUT if you do you're going to need ANOTHER tank so you can rear Ramshorn snails for a food source. They LOVE to hunt.

11. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

gender doesnt matter too much...

12. OP
    OP
    i

I rehomed the pea Puffer and the fish in the 55 gallon are less tightly schooling now.

13. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

They will do that. I've got some predators in my tank that cant hurt anyone. It keeps the fish nervous enough that they school well, but dont get hurt. Butterfly fish up top, butterfly cichlids on the bottom, bloodfin tetra ball in the middle lol. The Otos and kuhlis and amanos care about nothing though lol.

14. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Glad to hear.