Dwarf Orange Crayfish

1. wrs2

wrs2 Valued Member Member

I saw these little guys today at an LFS. I wanted shrimp but they were all so small I was afraid even my endlers would eat them! I was wondering if they would be good in a 10 gallon tank with 3 male endlers, 1 beriet snail and 1 female betta. In my many years of keeping fish I’ve never kept any invertebrates so I am really not sure!

2. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Valued Member Member

They get a little bigger, endlers should be fine, I'd be more concerned about the betta. They're neat little fellers, just keep copper out of your tank. If your snail is fine, other inverts generally will be too.

3. OP
    OP
    wrs2

I just gt the snail today haha. I'm just starting to branch out from fish!
    I have a 5.5 gallon tank that I am thinking about dividing and I have 2 female bettas so I can put them in there.

Do they come in other colors too? I can of course probably just goggle it, but I like getting 1st hand info.

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I don't think it's a good idea, they have been known to snatch and kill smaller fish like neon tetras and the like, so I can see the endlers being a potential target.

5. Crafty Cichlid

If you're going to divide the tank, re-home the endlers, either in another tank at home, or somewhere else. You're pushing the max for a 5.5. What is your filter rated for, and what kind of media do you use?

6. OP
    OP
    wrs2

I have an empty 5.5 gallon. Well it's full of water and plants, but no one lives in it.

I really wanted shrimp, but they were all SO small that I am afraid they would get eaten, which is why I was thinking of the dwarf crayfish as they were not that big but not too small either.

7. Crafty Cichlid

Shrimp and bettas are a craps shoot. My betta tries to eat the shrimp in her tank, but the scoot away too quick. Maybe try to find Amano, or Bamboo shrimp?

8. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

There are also Dwarf Blue crayfish.

Keeping them in low pH environments make their colors pop.

9. OP
    OP
    wrs2

I don't like Amano or Bamboo shrimp. Too basic and ugly haha.
    And blue would be lovely! I gotta check to see if the LFS that is closer has them or if they can order them! (Though I doubt they will...)