Dwarf Orange Crayfish in Hiding

ferg42995

I got my first Dwarf Orange Crayfish 3 weeks ago for our community tank. The first day or two, we saw him out and about exploring. Since then, I have only seen him about once a week. I think he hides during the day and comes out at night. I did see him eating alongside the mystery snail and one of my amano shrimp on some homemade snello one night after dark. Is this normal? Are they nocturnal and hide during the day? Or is it just scared until it gets bigger? I don't think anything is messing with it. I have a variety of small tetras, 2 female peacock gudgeons, corys, 1 Bolivian Ram who has never bothered anyone, some endlers, amano shrimp, mystery snail, nerite.

richiep

Its natural for these guys to be nervous and will take time to come around, he will eat at night and look for s way to escape so watch what holes you have around pipes, they also love to climb around plants, you could put a mate in

Upvote 0

BillynJennifer

I would almost lay money on it, that it's getting bullied by your fish. I had two CPOs with some tiny Chili Rasboras that were bullying them. They stayed hidden until they were moved into my shrimp tank with no fish.

Upvote 0

ferg42995

Its natural for these guys to be nervous and will take time to come around, he will eat at night and look for s way to escape so watch what holes you have around pipes, they also love to climb around plants, you could put a mate in
Thanks so much! Hopefully he will get more comfortable and start coming out in the day in the coming weeks. I've got all of the holes covered up so he can't escape and I do have several plants for him. I don't know if he is actually a he or a she. If I got a second and they ended up being the same sex, would they fight? I want peace and harmony in my aquarium! LOL

Upvote 0

richiep

Although I never seen my 8 get bullied its always something to be aware of as BillynJennifer pointed out, if there is you will tend to see fish lurking around his hide during the day, but to be honest with the fish you have there I think he'll hold his own, same sex is always a chance of fights if the tanks to small and saying that m&f will fight and prey on each other during moulting, so with these its dog eat dog

Upvote 0

ferg42995

I would almost lay money on it, that it's getting bullied by your fish. I had two CPOs with some tiny Chili Rasboras that were bullying them. They stayed hidden until they were moved into my shrimp tank with no fish.
I hate that. I watched to see and no one seemed to pay him any mind at all. But maybe they knew I was watching.

Upvote 0

Debbie1986

my blue 'lobster' loves his cave

he's in it 90% of the time

I ended up buying him a larger cave ( 3 entrances to it) just to make sure he could feel comfy but have larger area

he's solo, so there's no bullying unless it's the ramshorn snail that he eats once in a while. lol

Attachments

• 20210511_205146.jpg
    20210511_205146.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
zakBlanco
Replies
Views
Willj626