Dwarf neon rainbows & Discus

1. Hyde Initiate Member

Looking to put dwarf rainbows with Discus together, is this good? Has anybody done this. also how about having a oto in he tank

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know much about discus, but I think they and the rainbows need different water parameters.

3. Hyde Initiate Member

Did that found one site that said it was good, but only one made me wonder

4. Hyde Initiate Member

Have rainbows now in my tank now, being in hawaii the water temp is already at 84

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What's your appoximate pH?

Are the fish SUPER expensive in Hawaii?

6. Hyde Initiate Member

my ph is 7.8 steady, yeah its crazy over here with the shipping cost

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry but I think discus are out of the question. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could alter your pH, but that's just asking for big trouble IMO because you'll be having to do large water changes every other day.

Give us some prices!!

8. Hyde Initiate Member

Have a hatchery here on Kauai, he say the discus will be ok with 2 water change a week, and 7.8 will be ok. His website is Hawaiidiscus.com Going to check it out next week. The cost of one rainbow is 18.00$ one oto is 25.00$

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Well that's good for you :), cause I can't even imagine how much a discus costs!

How much are some exotic fish?

10. Slug Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure it would work out to well. I think the fish can adjust to your own parameters, but i'm more concerned with the rainbows tendency to be an active fish. Discus arn't that active and are sometimes bothered by more active species, especially during feeding times.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You know I didn't even think of that. Dwarf neon rainbows are PIGS and will eat everything in sight, like danios and tiger barbs. And contrary to what you might read on the internet, they DO take food off the bottom.

Otherwise, the rainbows aren't super active.

12. Hyde Initiate Member

i can see what your saying, when I feed my tank they are the first to eat, thanks for your input.

13. Hyde Initiate Member

Its just hard to let them go. My wife is going nuts with the thought of another tank option. But I really want to try Discus so here I am

14. Neji Member Member

People say that discus that are with other discus do very well with each other, but when you add the discus in with other fishes that require different parameters, then you are putting your discus fish in danger.

I know that there are some community fishes that are as delicate as the discus and do require a lot of water changes and attention. I'm pretty sure it is the neon tetra since people say that they are very delicate and they aren't as tough as the cardinal tetra which looks almost alike but the cardinal tetras has the same but darker colors than the neon :)