Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish Gasping For Air

Pwilly07

HI All,

I noticed last night and today that I had a dwarf neon rainbowfish towards the top of the tank gasping for air. It is a heavily planted tank with CO2, I dry dose EI ferts, medium high light, and ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are 20ppm. My tank ph prior to CO2 coming on is normally 7.4 and then after running CO2 for about an hour, my ph is 6.6-6.8. My kH is 4-5 and gH is about 10.
I don't know if I have gill flukes or if I have too much CO2. Just changed reagent in drop cheacker and it is still showing blueish green, but not sure what to believe. Getting new powerhead as other one was way too strong.

Can someone please shed some light on what might be going on? I ordered Prazipro in case it is gill flukes l, but wanted to know before dosing.

Thanks!!

SparklingGourami

How long do you run CO2 and does it line up with the lighting schedule?

EMR

HI All,

I noticed last night and today that I had a dwarf neon rainbowfish towards the top of the tank gasping for air. It is a heavily planted tank with CO2, I dry dose EI ferts, medium high light, and ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are 20ppm. My tank ph prior to CO2 coming on is normally 7.4 and then after running CO2 for about an hour, my ph is 6.6-6.8. My kH is 4-5 and gH is about 10.
I don't know if I have gill flukes or if I have too much CO2. Just changed reagent in drop cheacker and it is still showing blueish green, but not sure what to believe. Getting new powerhead as other one was way too strong.

Can someone please shed some light on what might be going on? I ordered Prazipro in case it is gill flukes l, but wanted to know before dosing.

Thanks!!

According to the chart, a Kh of 4-5 and Ph of 6.8 puts you in the green zone for CO2. Alternatively, if the Ph is 6.6, puts you in the high CO2 zone. There is a chance this fish can be sensitive to CO2. Full disclosure, I run my tank well into the yellow zone and all the fauna tolerate it well.

How do the gills look and how else is the fish acting? Are the gills inflamed? Poor appetite?

Pwilly07

How long do you run CO2 and does it line up with the lighting schedule?
I initially has CO2 come on an hour before lights and and then off an hour before lights went off. Lights are on from 9-12pm and 3-8pm so now CO2 is on from 8:30-11am and 2:30-6:30pm. Hoping this helps.

Pwilly07

According to the chart, a Kh of 4-5 and Ph of 6.8 puts you in the green zone for CO2. Alternatively, if the Ph is 6.6, puts you in the high CO2 zone. There is a chance this fish can be sensitive to CO2. Full disclosure, I run my tank well into the yellow zone and all the fauna tolerate it well.

How do the gills look and how else is the fish acting? Are the gills inflamed? Poor appetite?
From what I can see the gills seem fine other than moving rapidly. Fish eats very littlw hear and there. He was eating very well up until the last few days so that makes me think it's not the CO2, but I don't know. The fish does spend time at the top of the tank as well.

coralbandit

My understanding of CO2 says you are all good with it .
I would treat for the flukes as gill issues are often hard to see by eye in the early stages when it is easier to treat.

angelcraze

Just curious, when did you add the fish in question and have you added anything new lately? Gill flukes don't just appear out of nowhere.

Having said that, I don't hesitate to use PraziPro especially when flukes are suspected. It is often used as prophylaxis in QT for new fish.

Pwilly07

Just curious, when did you add the fish in question and have you added anything new lately? Gill flukes don't just appear out of nowhere.

Having said that, I don't hesitate to use PraziPro especially when flukes are suspected. It is often used as prophylaxis in QT for new fish.
The fish were added about 4.5 weeks ago. Nothing new has been added lately. Will use PraziPro and see what happens. Ah that is also good to know. Thanks!

Pwilly07

Turns out it was most likely dropsy that killed the fish. It was bloated, pineconed, and mouth was all the way open with it dead in the back of the tank, laying upside down. I was advised to treat tank with maracyn 2 because something could have caused fish to become sick that led to dropsy and all water parameters were 0 for ammonia and nitrite and 20 for nitrate. Water change was started before maracyn 2 was dosed and I will monitor ammonia and nitrite levels closely over length of treatment.

coralbandit

Complete full treatment.Dropsy is usually a symptom of a bacterial issue .Usually the last symptom.When all the damage done by whatever is visible it usually too late.
Sorry about your fish good luck going forward.

Pwilly07

Complete full treatment.Dropsy is usually a symptom of a bacterial issue .Usually the last symptom.When all the damage done by whatever is visible it usually too late.
Sorry about your fish good luck going forward.
Thank you! I'll keep at it and at least won't do anything crazy like get a bunch more fish or more tanks till I have no fish die for at least 1-2 years or more.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
lacancap
Replies
Views
Cathypaola
Replies
Views
RStream
Replies
Views