Dwarf Neon Rainbow Fish 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Rainbowfish' started by Swiglls, May 18, 2019.

1. Swiglls

SwigllsValued MemberMember

So I got a 30 long with two honey gourami (friendly as all heck) and the tank is heavily planted so I was wondering how many dwarf neon rainbow fish I could have in there?

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

I think five or six would work.

3. OP
    OP
    Swiglls

They only get 2.5 inches don't you think I could have more?

3.5*

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2019
  4. Chanyi

ChanyiValued MemberMember

I've got 6 in my 36" 25 gallon. I think another 4-6 wouldn't hurt. Large water changes and good tank maintenance is key.

5. nikm128

nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Maybe 7-8, but that would be pushing since they're so active and like their swimming space

6. OP
    OP
    Swiglls

Don't they school really tight though?

7. Chanyi

Nope, they "Stick together" but they don't school

8. nikm128

Yeah, they're not actually schooling fish. More like loose shoalers, they do best in groups but won't really move around all at the same time like a school would

9. OP
    OP
    Swiglls

Alright guys thanks for all the feedback. Going with 7 of them, 4 in the first week and 3 the next.

10. Chanyi

Be prepared to buy another 3 or so (if getting them from a pet store). They are poorly bread and easily succumb to the elements.

Nothing wrong with buying all males either.

If buying from a good breeder, they should be genetically stronger for keeping in an aquarium.

11. nikm128

I've had a 1:5 survival rate with the group of Bosemani I'm trying to build, definitely keep the receipt and make sure the store has a good return policy
    Edti: I mean one survives out of every five I get, not one lives and five die

12. OP
    OP
    Swiglls

I actually work at the LFS just in the reptile department. So I can be very picky and get other staff to help pick the best ones. Also the return policy is nearly forever for employees luckily

Just as a last question actually. How strong of swimmers are these guys? I like having some current to keep plants swaying a bit but just enough as not to bother my gourami

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2019
  13. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

No worries. Rainbowfish in general live in rivers & creeks with plenty of current. They can endure extremes in whether too. Very resilient fish.