Dwarf mini hair-grass from pet smart

Justwanttoknow

Should I just remove this plant that looks like its dying from the roots up or is it still beneficial lol ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 19

PlantedCommunityTank132

I would leave it, and see how it goes. Do you add any ferts or root tabs?

Justwanttoknow

I only have leaf zone and pin it between the rocks and gravel but I was worried about like excess iron from using leaf zone I only added it once about a week ago

PlantedCommunityTank132

Well, how big is the tank and what is it stocked with?

PlantedCommunityTank132

Probably. The plant might make it if you add root tabs

BlackOsprey

Hairgrass tends to struggle if placed directly into a filled aquarium because 1) they are grown out of the water at the farms, so they have to adapt to drastically different conditions underwater, and 2) they are very dependent on their roots to stay healthy, and newly-planted roots cannot support them very well at all. They also get most of their nutrients from their roots, not from the water.

Right now, your hairgrass is struggling to adapt. It's normal for some of its foliage to die off. It could certainly survive this, it doesn't look dead to me. You should put a root tab directly beneath it to feed it, and then just keep it in place so that it can establish a root system.

But yeah hairgrass definitely isn't the easiest plant to grow if you're new to it. It also requires a brighter light than what most dinky aquarium kits provide, so there's that to consider...

Justwanttoknow

Hairgrass tends to struggle if placed directly into a filled aquarium because 1) they are grown out of the water at the farms, so they have to adapt to drastically different conditions underwater, and 2) they are very dependent on their roots to stay healthy, and newly-planted roots cannot support them very well at all. They also get most of their nutrients from their roots, not from the water.

Right now, your hairgrass is struggling to adapt. It's normal for some of its foliage to die off. It could certainly survive this, it doesn't look dead to me. You should put a root tab directly beneath it to feed it, and then just keep it in place so that it can establish a root system.

But yeah hairgrass definitely isn't the easiest plant to grow if you're new to it. It also requires a brighter light than what most dinky aquarium kits provide, so there's that to consider...
There is someone nearby selling frog-bit idk if that is a good starter plant

RedOnion

Frogbit is an easy floater plant. It is a good starter plant.

VSA

I have had the tropica version of this in the past and not had much luck. This time I planted some of the tropica plant with seachem flourish tabs and it’s going great so far. It’s growing slowly as I’m low tech but the root tabs are really helping.

Your’s doesn’t seem too bad. You could probably recover that with some decent root tabs.

BlackOsprey

It is, though it will block light to the rest of the tank and make growing things below it more difficult.

Justwanttoknow

I dont know if I wanna buy from the person local to me I looked at their advert again and it said that they have too much, so they are probably selling the weaker part they cut off and that It may include snails and it was posted a week ago. Im not trying to introduce snails or buy another weak plant

BlackOsprey

I dont know if I wanna buy from the person local to me I looked at their advert again and it said that they have too much, so they are probably selling the weaker part they cut off and that It may include snails and it was posted a week ago. Im not trying to introduce snails or buy another weak plant
Speaking from personal experience: when someone is selling floating plants because they have too much, it's because the floating plants are growing so rapidly and vigorously that you HAVE to get rid of some of it. Surplus floaters tend to be pretty healthy.

Snails are an inherent risk of keeping a planted tank. Personally I think they're a cheap and beneficial clean-up crew, since they break down waste and uneaten food while leaving healthy live plants alone.
If you really want to avoid them, buy only tissue-cultured plants, or treat new arrivals by soaking them in water dosed with dewormer medicine for a day or two.

Justwanttoknow

Are any of the plants on amazon good ?

image.jpg
I tried to help it out a lil the plant I have already untill i can get root tabs I anchored it down better and put it closer to oxygen and heat

RedOnion

Are any of the plants on amazon good ?

image.jpg
I tried to help it out a lil the plant I have already untill i can get root tabs I anchored it down better and put it closer to oxygen and heat
I have had no experience from Amazon. But MarcusFishTanks sells plants and the shipping is a really good price. Would recommend him!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
iancrayguy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
Replies