Dwarf lily made a baby plant- what should i do?

babykitten

My dwarf lily started growing a baby plant a couple months ago. Now the baby plant looks like it started growing roots. What should i do? Should i leave it on the mother plant until its bigger? Will it split off on its own? Is it just an extention of my dwarf lily? Please tell me what i should do. Thanks in advance!

Its very small still. Around an inch tall and has 5 very small leaves.

John58ford

Do you have picture? I don't know if they divide the same way my lilies do but a picture would clear that up.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Just let it grow, lilies (especially false lilies like Nymphoides) grow runners. Completely normal. Usually the runner should separate by itself as soon as it's rooted and its leaves reach the surface. It it doesn't separate itself no worries, you cut the connection and then either let it grow further, put it to another spot or give it away.

Upvote 0

babykitten

Do you have picture? I don't know if they divide the same way my lilies do but a picture would clear that up.

20201104_222915.jpg

Upvote 0

babykitten

Just let it grow, lilies (especially false lilies like Nymphoides) grow runners. Completely normal. Usually the runner should separate by itself as soon as it's rooted and its leaves reach the surface. It it doesn't separate itself no worries, you cut the connection and then either let it grow further, put it to another spot or give it away.
Thank you. Will the runner eventually grow a bulb? Or will it be just the leaves and roots? Thanks

Upvote 0

MacZ

Jep, a runner.

Thank you. Will the runner eventually grow a bulb? Or will it be just the leaves and roots? Thanks

Now that I see what kind of lily it is, it will produce some kind of rhizome with roots. It becomes an independent bulb after separation. You can separate when it's a bit bigger and after that you can cut it off at any time.

Upvote 0

John58ford

It looks like it grows and divides just like mine. I never get a true "bulb", it grows another crowned root-ball separate of the main one (just like a crypt would). To divide it you just wiggle the roots and separate the little one from the big one. I would wait until it's a little bigger but don't wait too long; Whenever I have waited for a pad to hit the top of my 29 before separating the roots from the runner are too intertwined and I end up having to unplant/replant the mother to separate the roots safely.

I have divided one plant into 3 over the last 6-7 months, though I started with a plant that had been growing in a friend's tank for about 3 months prior. At the second division the remainder of the "bulb" shell fell off and nothing bad came from it, the bulb is just nutrients for a baby plant.

My "dwarf lily" ended up being not so dwarf and puts up lily pads about 9-10" in diameter, is that the case with yours as well?

Upvote 0

Pfrozen

Exciting stuff, I have a dwarf lily bulb arriving tomorrow for my tank! very interesting plants

Upvote 0

babykitten

Jep, a runner.

Now that I see what kind of lily it is, it will produce some kind of rhizome with roots. It becomes an independent bulb after separation. You can separate when it's a bit bigger and after that you can cut it off at any time.
How big should it be? Its very small now. Thank you!
It looks like it grows and divides just like mine. I never get a true "bulb", it grows another crowned root-ball separate of the main one (just like a crypt would). To divide it you just wiggle the roots and separate the little one from the big one. I would wait until it's a little bigger but don't wait too long; Whenever I have waited for a pad to hit the top of my 29 before separating the roots from the runner are too intertwined and I end up having to unplant/replant the mother to separate the roots safely.

I have divided one plant into 3 over the last 6-7 months, though I started with a plant that had been growing in a friend's tank for about 3 months prior. At the second division the remainder of the "bulb" shell fell off and nothing bad came from it, the bulb is just nutrients for a baby plant.

My "dwarf lily" ended up being not so dwarf and puts up lily pads about 9-10" in diameter, is that the case with yours as well?
Thank you! My dwarf lily is definetly a dwarf lily. When it sent up lily pads, they were usually 2½ inches in diameter.
Exciting stuff, I have a dwarf lily bulb arriving tomorrow for my tank! very interesting plants
Yes definetly. Ive had mine since the beginning of this year and i have to say, they are one of my favorite plants.

Upvote 0

babykitten

Update on the baby dwarf lily(s):
I was replanting some plants in my 10 gallon that floated up and i noticed that the little dwarf lily is no longer attached to the mother plant. I have planted it a few inches away so it can get enough light. After moving it, I was able to see TWO more dwarf lilys along with the main plant sticking out of the bulb. They are still looking small so im leaving them until they get bigger.
20201119_191824.jpg
20201119_191833.jpg

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Davidh9054
  • Question
Replies
Views
The2dCour
Replies