dwarf lilly

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI, i have a quick question.
I have two pink dwarf water lillys, and they both have low to the ground leaves, which i love. one is now sending a leaf straight up, and it is growing rapidly. I would prefer if they remained low to the ground. Will cutting all adventuresome leaves off eventually cause the plant to give up and spread low, or will it tenaciously spend its energy trying to reach the surface? (in which case it needs to go to the back, because i currently have it as a forground plant)

thanks

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Usually they do start out with low leaves...as they get growing and happy they will shoot to the surface. Thats just the nature of water lilies. Not sure if you trim them that they will start over again....give it a try.

Tana

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi potatos!

How deep are they submerged and which dwarfs do you have?

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thanks for the replys. They are in my 29 gallon, so they are about 16" below the surface of the water. I am not sure what type it is, it was sold to me as "dwarf water lilly" so here is a picture.

Attachments

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what I understand if you have high lights they will stay compact otherwise they will reach for the light.
I have a red tiger lotus doing just that right now.
I was also told they had to have a certain amount of floating leaves to bloom
Carol

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ah i see. well i have realtivly low lighting (48watt in a 29 gallon) but i dont want it to bloom, i wanted it as a low pink ground cover. Oh well, i will see how it looks and if i dont like it i will lop it off and hopes it gives up. Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom