Dwarf Kirbensis?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by curiousowl, Jul 29, 2015.

1. curiousowl

curiousowl New Member Member

I had a customer come in and asked me to order dwarf kirbensis...I'm pretty sure kirbensis are already a dwarf cichlid species...
    I don't want to go looking for something that is right in front of me, lol. He has a planted community tank I know there are rock kirbensis, but are there others?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

There are other Pelvicachromis species, some of which are a bit smaller than kribs, but there isn't a true "dwarf krib".

3. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the forum,
    The Kribensis is classed as a " dwarf cichlid ", and to my knowledge there is only the one Krib.

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

All the species of Pelvicachromis are often given common names using the term "Krib". The most common species, and therefor the "Common" Krib is P. pulcher. There is a fish known as a Giant Krib, P. sacrimontis. Oddly, the name P. kribensis, once thought to be a synonym, has been brought back in a recent paper on P. taeniatus populations. It is used for some populations from northern Cameroon, including the often available "Moliwe" population. New names were described for populations further south.

I would assume that they are asking about the common P. pulcher; if they wanted something less common, they would likely have used the scientific name.

Edit: Rock Kribs are actually a Haplochromine, Paralabidochromis sauvagei, from the Lake Victoria basin. Their colors resemble the common Krib, hence the name.

5. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Rock kribs also aren't a real dwarf, getting 5 inches.....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice