Question (dwarf?) Honey Gouramis Sex

LoganKarl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Got a couple of questions! I have two Gouramis. They were sold to me as Dwarf Honey Gouramis. From the research I'm doing Honey Gouramis and Dwarf Gouramis are similar in size and shape but are actually different species?

I want to know exactly what fish these are because I would like to try and breed them. Which brings me to my next question on sexing.

The first 2 pictures are the same fish takin about 5 mins apart. It has a dark line that runs from its eyes down the belly but it comes and goes. You can see in the second picture the dark coloring is completely gone. And it is smaller in size than the other one.

The 3rd picture is the other fish that is a bit larger and it never has had the dark coloring as the smaller one does.

I have had them both for about 5-6 months and they were the same size when I bought them from my LFS. They currently live my my 45g community tank.

I'm hoping I have a Male and female that I can try to breed. Can anyone tell from the pictures what they might be??

Attachments

OP
LoganKarl

LoganKarl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Both Honey Gourami, not Dwarf Gourami

Nice tank
Thanks! I only set it up about 6 weeks ago. I plan n doing a moss or grass carpet in the planted areas, leaving the center as sand. Also adding more taller plants to the backround and some smaller ones in the foreground. Hopefully make it look more natural and not having just a single species of plant in each area.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks!

Thanks! Hopefully my LFS can order in a female. Will two males and 1 female work together in a community tank?
From my experience, a mixed sex ratio is fine. However, I feel you need to have a group instead of keeping 2 males and a female together.

OP
LoganKarl

LoganKarl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kept a mixed group of 6 in a 29 before without issues.
I will look for 4 females but will have to special order them. I have two local fish stores where I live but neither have much selection. I really only like buying from the smaller store because they are much more knowledgeable and the few tanks they have always look really healthy.

I have gotten some bad advice from the bigger store more than a few time and almost everyone of their tanks has dead fish or says not for sale due to ICH or some other decease when ever I go there.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The OP's fish are a male and a female. Look at the top of the dorsal fin. One fish shows a bright yellow, thin edging. That is a male characteristic. The other simply has a solid orange dorsal with no yellow border. That is a female. YOU HAVE A PAIR! They are the Gold variety of Honey Gourami, which can be harder to sex than wild type. They are young, and might need to mature a bit before they can spawn.

The video is one way to breed them, but I'm lazy and prefer the easy way! Put the pair in a 10 gallon tank at about 80F, with floating plants like water lettuce or water sprite. Nice wide leaves on the surface are key for the male's nest. Then just feed the tank daily with fine foods. If you see them breed, you can remove the female, or both fish. The eggs and fry are bouyant, and will stay at the surface until they are free swimming, so they don't actually need the male. If you leave the male, he will tend the nest until the fry start swimming, then he may eat a few fry, though I've had males who continued to care for a nest with swimming fry. They will find enough infusoria in the plants (especially if you have the fuzzy roots of the two plants I suggested above). After 3-4 days they will eat live bbs or microworms. You can keep the bbs near the surface with a strong overhead light. Microworms tend to sink, so I don't use them that often with Gourami fry.

I used to be able to raise the fry on bbs from the beginning, but that was using eggs collected in San Francisco Bay. The nauplii hatch out smaller, and I used to feed them to a lot of fish with tiny fry. However, the collecting in the Bay was shut down for a couple of decades. It did finally restart, but actual San Francisco eggs cost a lot more than Salt Lake eggs.

OP
LoganKarl

LoganKarl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The OP's fish are a male and a female. Look at the top of the dorsal fin. One fish shows a bright yellow, thin edging. That is a male characteristic. The other simply has a solid orange dorsal with no yellow border. That is a female. YOU HAVE A PAIR! They are the Gold variety of Honey Gourami, which can be harder to sex than wild type. They are young, and might need to mature a bit before they can spawn.

The video is one way to breed them, but I'm lazy and prefer the easy way! Put the pair in a 10 gallon tank at about 80F, with floating plants like water lettuce or water sprite. Nice wide leaves on the surface are key for the male's nest. Then just feed the tank daily with fine foods. If you see them breed, you can remove the female, or both fish. The eggs and fry are bouyant, and will stay at the surface until they are free swimming, so they don't actually need the male. If you leave the male, he will tend the nest until the fry start swimming, then he may eat a few fry, though I've had males who continued to care for a nest with swimming fry. They will find enough infusoria in the plants (especially if you have the fuzzy roots of the two plants I suggested above). After 3-4 days they will eat live bbs or microworms. You can keep the bbs near the surface with a strong overhead light. Microworms tend to sink, so I don't use them that often with Gourami fry.

I used to be able to raise the fry on bbs from the beginning, but that was using eggs collected in San Francisco Bay. The nauplii hatch out smaller, and I used to feed them to a lot of fish with tiny fry. However, the collecting in the Bay was shut down for a couple of decades. It did finally restart, but actual San Francisco eggs cost a lot more than Salt Lake eggs.
Thanks for your reply! I hope they are a pair! I am going to try and see what happens. I just set up a 10g breeder today and will be setting up my brine shrimp hatchery tomorrow. I only have a small vile of eggs from the LFS. Ive hatched them out before and they seemed to big for new fry Ill Also start a culture of infuriating.

Any suggestions on artificial floating things/plants? Neither LFS has any plants that will work.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom