Dwarf Hairgrass

1. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

Trying to grow dwarf hair grass in my 5 gallon. I'm not necessarily going for a carpet, but I do want some nice cover.
    Plants have been in the tank for about two weeks now. I'm not well versed in DH so I'm not sure how long it takes for it to really catch.
    Lighting is a fluorescent tube from aqueon that's on for 11 ish hours a day.
    I use seachem flourish, but not religiously. No CO2.
    Trimmed the DH last week to encourage outward growth but haven't really seen any improvement. a0e27a15ee2d6fcb6dd9acda09d2185c.jpg
    4dd0494d281c4e50cb6e461ce38bb481.jpg
    Ignore the nasty hair algea that seems to plague this tank, I'm taking it out tomorrow.
    The s. repens and telanthera next to the DH were planted at the same time. Both have grown in really well and have put out healthy roots.
    Any tips on what I should do?!
    Please and thank you

2. liberosis4170

liberosis4170 Valued Member Member

Just want to say your tank is very pretty to look at. : D I've tried dwarf hair grass, but it usually dies out after the first month. good luck to yah.

3. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like you have elocharis vipara, which is a "giant" hairgrass, not the same species as dwarf hairgrass.

Dhg won't carpet without plant specific lights, good ferts, and co2. The s. Repens is a better carpeting option for you, will look amazing with the clumps of giant hairgrass in between :)

4. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

The website I ordered from only sells dwarf. This one should be elocharis acicularis. When I got the plant, it was about 4". If it does turn out to be GHG, I'll move it to the back wall
    Can I use liquid CO2? I'm not interested in setting up a CO2 canister, plus i read that it is not strictly necessary to have CO2, it would just take ages to grow

Also, thank you. I've tried dwarf baby tears with no success although I still have some meager tufts hanging onto life

5. liberosis4170

liberosis4170 Valued Member Member

lol I was thinking they were a little big or dwarf .

6. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

If allowed to grow up instead of out, DHG grows to four inches while GHG grows to upwards of a foot

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

So... I have some parvula in a tank with co2, carpets nicely. I have some in a tank with same lighting, similar bioload, etc but excel vs co2.... very very slow is very very VERY slow. Mine has grown a few nodes per clump, in about 8 weeks....not much. Tricky to find balance to provide the lighting for the dhg, yet not have algae issues...
    so, yes, doable, but may take a year at this point to cover 1/2 of a ten gallon no co2 for me....

Also I believe acicularis gets tall vs spreading without higher lighting.

Maybe try keeping it trimmed to encourage spreading vs growing upwards and reproducing?

8. OP
    OP
    Floundering_Around

I'll think about getting some liquid CO2. I'm just 2orries since I don't want my hair grass to melt back too much and end up dying
    Luckily, I'm not looking for a carpet of hair grass but waiting that long will be worse than watching paint dry (and I should know, I paint as a hobby )