5 Gallon Tank Dwarf hairgrass question

rkeehn547

Hello, I just planted some dwarf hairgrass in my aquarium last night and it was hard to get the roots into the gravel. I got the grass to stay on the gravel but it’s not fully planted. Is this okay? I have attached a picture. And would my other plants be okay if their roots are sticking out of the gravel? Thank you
2C4D9FA1-EF15-4D33-BB3C-9F5631CC71B4.jpeg

Joyously

Hi! From your picture, I'm wondering if they are runners or roots?

I planted dwarf hairgrass two weekends ago and they're doing great. They were growing out in a different tank, and by the time I was ready to plant them in the display tank, a lot of runners had developed. Because the plants were so sprawling, I did my best to plant what appeared to be the roots and didn't worry about the runners. Some ended up getting buried, others were sticking up.

Apparently runners can develop beneath the substrate or above (open to clarification here), and a new plant will grow at the endpoint of the runner. My thinking is your planting will work out just fine.

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

I have found hairgrass isn't that picky on how you plant it. That is, it doesn't seem to care if the crown is right at, above, or even below the substrate level. So, as long as you can get it to stay, it should be fine.

If it were me though, I'd pull it up, cut it into tinier pieces, and then replant all those pieces deeper. This way, it would be less likely to uproot, and you would get better spread.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

When planting, bury the roots entirely in the substrate, but be aware that all blades of the “grass” need to be above the substrate.
Dwarf hairgrass needs a moderate to high level of lighting in order to grow. It also can’t have any plants around that will block the light since it can’t photosynthesize in shaded areas.
The lower the lighting, the taller the plant will grow, the higher the light, the more horizontally it will grow.
This makes a huge difference between a carpet and long, scraggly hairs.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PAcanis
Replies
Views
JenC
Replies
Views
jcmcn5
Replies