Dwarf Hair Grass (Eleocharis Parvula) in dirt substrate with no CO2?

  • Thread starter

AleNanoTank

Valued Member
Messages
261
Reaction score
44
Points
63
Experience
Just started
I have had pretty decent experiences with plants in my 23-gallon tank, with organic soil capped by sandblasting black sand.

In a smaller, 5.5-gallon tank, I have organic soil capped by white pool filter sand.

Shall I venture into planting Dwarf Hair Grass (Eleocharis Parvula) in either? The 23-gallon, ay the moment, does not have great light, as it's a tall tank. I am hoping to add an LED strip at some point soon. The 5.5-gallon has a Finnex, clip-on light.

Does Dwarf Hair Grass ever perform well without CO2 injection?
 

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Messages
1,267
Reaction score
1,423
Points
183
Experience
More than 10 years
Following.. as I've not had much luck with Hair Grass. Also without CO2.
 

gray_matter16

Valued Member
Messages
116
Reaction score
83
Points
63
Experience
5 to 10 years
Also following. I have the same set up with organic soil and PFS. Difference being I have a shallow (20 gallon long) tank with a pretty solid light. I have read that it is possible to get dhg to carpet in low tech, but it takes a lot of patience. Really, most plants will tank long(er) to grow in low tech. The most common thread on dhg in low tech I found was that it survives but has a hard time filling out.
 

saltwater60

Well Known Member
Messages
1,992
Reaction score
1,069
Points
173
I have no experience with this plant. I researched it and decided it wasn’t for me. Everything I read said it will live without CO2 just not grow. Also it needs lots of light. Light I have but I don’t want to mess with CO2.
 

ROFEA

Valued Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
18
Points
18
Experience
Just started
I have exactly that grass in my 5 gallon. Its the only tank I have with no filter or fertilizers. Ive never used co2 in this tank. Its almost as simple as can be except I have a nice light on it. This grass will pearl almost daily for quite a bit. There are little bubbles that form at the top from all the pearling. This tank has the most consistently great water quality too (ph/no3/no2...etc). I recommend it!
 

Level99Fishing

Valued Member
Messages
115
Reaction score
30
Points
38
Lol this is kind of funny but here are my pics:

My dwarf hairgrass in my tank that does not have CO2:
IMG20191217221524.jpg


My dwarf hairgrass in my tank that has CO2:
IMG20191217221536.jpg


Lol the dwarf hairgrass in no CO2 looks pretty sad. Ridden with algae, breaks with the slightest force when I clean the glass. Fouls my view of the tank haha. The difference with CO2 really is night and day.

EDIT: The lighting on both these tanks are about the same. I would rate them as medium-high power.
 

ROFEA

Valued Member
Messages
60
Reaction score
18
Points
18
Experience
Just started
Level99Fishing said:
Lol this is kind of funny but here are my pics:

My dwarf hairgrass in my tank that does not have CO2:
IMG20191217221524.jpg


My dwarf hairgrass in my tank that has CO2:
IMG20191217221536.jpg


Lol the dwarf hairgrass in no CO2 looks pretty sad. Ridden with algae, breaks with the slightest force when I clean the glass. Fouls my view of the tank haha. The difference with CO2 really is night and day.

EDIT: The lighting on both these tanks are about the same. I would rate them as medium-high power.
Wow! I am closer to your top pic. No where near your beautiful co2 picture. I planted it a bit over 3 months ago and it has started to fill in places I was meaning to keep open (substrate only) to view shrimp so there is definitely brand new growth. My only caution is that I trimmed my grass and I regret that the tops look so blunt now.
20191214_210201.jpg


And this area was left unplanted but these shorties sprouted up and spread out. I am not going to pull them out because there is also a flat rock where I can leave shrimp food. Maybe with co2 it would shoot straight up? New growth:
20191217_085428.jpg
 

Level99Fishing

Valued Member
Messages
115
Reaction score
30
Points
38
ROFEA said:
Wow! I am closer to your top pic. No where near your beautiful co2 picture. I planted it a bit over 3 months ago and it has started to fill in places I was meaning to keep open (substrate only) to view shrimp so there is definitely brand new growth. My only caution is that I trimmed my grass and I regret that the tops look so blunt now.
20191214_210201.jpg


And this area was left unplanted but these shorties sprouted up and spread out. I am not going to pull them out because there is also a flat rock where I can leave shrimp food. Maybe with co2 it would shoot straight up? New growth:
20191217_085428.jpg
CO2 really does makes all the difference in my experience. I think it does make it grow faster as well in addition to sprouting closer. I recently removed a rock to clean off the BBA and haven't placed it back yet. The dwarf hairgrass has now sprouted into in the area like a weed.
Still, your dwarf hairgrass looks really clean and healthy and algae-free!
 
  • Thread starter

AleNanoTank

Valued Member
Messages
261
Reaction score
44
Points
63
Experience
Just started
ROFEA said:
I have exactly that grass in my 5 gallon. Its the only tank I have with no filter or fertilizers. Ive never used co2 in this tank. Its almost as simple as can be except I have a nice light on it. This grass will pearl almost daily for quite a bit. There are little bubbles that form at the top from all the pearling. This tank has the most consistently great water quality too (ph/no3/no2...etc). I recommend it!
Interesting experience. It does not fit mine, I guess. Although I don't yet have hairgrass, my current plants, in either my bigger or smaller tanks (both with dirt substrate), do not pearl :-( The plants are doing fine though.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom